Arizona Chickens

There are other designs, too. They come in plaid

20210922_173712.jpg
20210922_174140.jpg

and multicolored

20210922_174210.jpg

and spotted.

20210922_175203.jpg

Really, they are kind of pretty. I missed taking a picture of a super pretty and colorful one the other day. As long as they aren't destructive, we're good.

There are other designs, too. They come in plaid

View attachment 2843130View attachment 2843132

and multicolored

View attachment 2843135

and spotted.

View attachment 2843138

Really, they are kind of pretty. I missed taking a picture of a super pretty and colorful one the other day. As long as they aren't destructive, we're good.

The chicken's will eat them if they can get the beak's on them. Mine do. Just make sure that they haven't been feeding on any of the leaves of any tomato plant's near you.

This evening I found one of my Barred Holland hens dead inside the coop. She had probably been dead most of the day. No injuries that I could see. I'm wondering if she ate a centepede or black widow or something bit her. No other flock mates look sick.

EDIT---- MAYBE that's what the vultures were trying to tell me? I don't usually count chickens in the morning, just at night. And now that I take another look, there is ONE hen that looks a little lethargic with her neck close in to her body not stretched out, I'm setting up quarantine for her today.

This is why I hatched some of the Barred Holland chicks - to test my roos and also in case I lose any. ---

Last edited:
Bluebaby,, of course I went further n did some more reading. Found this page that is interesting, about dangerous caterpillars,. Not all are from North America, but quite a few are.
In my area,, I think only the puss caterpillar is the dangerous one of concern.

https://animalhype.com/insects/poisonous-caterpillars/

This evening I found one of my Barred Holland hens dead inside the coop. She had probably been dead most of the day. No injuries that I could see. I'm wondering if she ate a centepede or black widow or something bit her. No other flock mates look sick.

EDIT---- MAYBE that's what the vultures were trying to tell me? I don't usually count chickens in the morning, just at night. And now that I take another look, there is ONE hen that looks a little lethargic with her neck close in to her body not stretched out, I'm setting up quarantine for her today.

This is why I hatched some of the Barred Holland chicks - to test my roos and also in case I lose any. ---

I hope that everything will be ok with them and that there is nothing contagious going on with the Holland's that can spread to the rest.

Bluebaby,, of course I went further n did some more reading. Found this page that is interesting, about dangerous caterpillars,. Not all are from North America, but quite a few are.
In my area,, I think only the puss caterpillar is the dangerous one of concern.

https://animalhype.com/insects/poisonous-caterpillars/

It's always a good thing to try to keep on top of those. Keep in mind though that the way that people are moving from state to state that some in one area can hitch a ride with them. Some can also be transported on ships and such from other countries, as has happened before like the Africanized Bee's, or those spider's in the banana's.

Sorry to hear about the hen, hope you contain whatever happened to her. best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom