Arizona Chickens

If I can line up some of the Bielefelder hatching egg's that I have planned to buy, I might have a hatch going next month.
Maybe what I need is a silkie so I can hatch whenever I want. I have some EEs that always have their beards pecked off and I'm afraid any silkies I had would end up naked since they are pretty much all beard.

Maybe what I need is a silkie so I can hatch whenever I want. I have some EEs that always have their beards pecked off and I'm afraid any silkies I had would end up naked since they are pretty much all beard.
The problem with silkies though is that they have vaulted skull's under all of that fluff, and if that soft spot is pecked by a bigger breed, it can do some real damage. Silkies aren't the only breed's that love to go broody. I had some hen's earlier this year that went broody and one of those went broody twice. I didn't let them hatch though, so I broke them of it. I prefer to hatch in my incubators.

I have a couple of Lakeshore Egger pullet's that should start laying in another month. They hatched from green egg's.

The problem with silkies though is that they have vaulted skull's under all of that fluff, and if that soft spot is pecked by a bigger breed, it can do some real damage. Silkies aren't the only breed's that love to go broody. I had some hen's earlier this year that went broody and one of those went broody twice. I didn't let them hatch though, so I broke them of it. I prefer to hatch in my incubators.

I have a couple of Lakeshore Egger pullet's that should start laying in another month. They hatched from green egg's.
I would love some green eggs! My problem is that I only have 2 (out of 8) chickens who will go broody and only once a year and in the summer. I thought about getting an incubator, but the cost doesn't seem worth it when I only get about 2 new chicks a year

I would love some green eggs! My problem is that I only have 2 (out of 8) chickens who will go broody and only once a year and in the summer. I thought about getting an incubator, but the cost doesn't seem worth it when I only get about 2 new chicks a year
Late spring and Summer is when mine like to go broody also. I also have some Dorking's, so I might have to break the pullet if she goes broody next year. Dorking's are also known as a broody breed.

Hey AZ peeps! I picked up my chicks from the post office on Friday and so far, so good. There was an extra chick in the box and fingers crossed hard that it doesn't turn out to be a roo. Felt like a Disney princess leaving with my chirping package.

6 Dominique chicks and what really pushed me over the edge to start with chickens was reading up about the breed. They sound perfect for eating bugs and "chicken tv" yard companions.
Welcome to the Arizona thread of BYC! I hope you enjoy your new dominiques. I know you'll have a lot of good advice and good company here!

It's sprinkling over here right now, and I didn't even wash the car. ;)
Well, what I got yesterday, is more of a downpour than a sprinkle. Tree wells were full, the culvert in front was nearly full, lots of water. My wonderful tarp somehow leaked/dripped right into my birds' "dust bath" so now it's too bad I don't have ducks!

Well, what I got yesterday, is more of a downpour than a sprinkle. Tree wells were full, the culvert in front was nearly full, lots of water. My wonderful tarp somehow leaked/dripped right into my birds' "dust bath" so now it's too bad I don't have ducks!
Is your flock ok?

When I carve the pumpkins, I cant place outside before Halloween,,, Next day they are spoken for by my friends. Yes I know It's my fault that there are about 20 around my home.. I do feed them daily. Just purchases another 50 pound bag of BOSS yesterday, as well as stocked up on chicken supplies. Feed store is a 30 mile drive one way for me,,
1224141100-00.jpg

I place a handful of seeds in 8 different spots/areas in the yard, so there is no fighting over seeds. Below there is a can that is secured to the tree perch that I attached to trunk. I have 2 such as this in 2 separate trees.
1123131222-00.jpg

IMG_20210927_184855156.jpg

Back
Top Bottom