Arizona Chickens

Well it is official I bought a Farm today in Kansas. So lots of land, lots of mega barns and plenty of room for cattle and hay.

Now to figure out how to get the chickens there so I know if I can take them all LOL
Well, now you will be able to say hello to Dorothy and Toto. Good luck with your move!

What do you all use to fill in the little spaces between wood (like in a hen house) that will expand and contract with 25F-115F temps? Something like this?

We're also trying to find a decent price for hemp litter, filling a 6'x6' roost area about 8-10" deep. Any suggestions on where to get it? I haven't been able to find anything local and shipping costs from outside the state are really high.

What do you all use to fill in the little spaces between wood (like in a hen house) that will expand and contract with 25F-115F temps?

I don't think such small openings need to be sealed off except if they are on the roof portion, that would incur rain leaks. Making a coop sooooo airtight is not ideal. Small gaps like you mention, (just from contraction of material, and drying out) are not sufficiently large enough to cause a DRAFT situation that would ruffle chickens' feathers.

We're also trying to find a decent price for hemp litter,

Price on hemp is high due to a few factors. Most,, "availability" it is not an abundant product.
Here is my opinion on DLM. (basically an interior coop compost operation)
DLM does not work well in all situations, and environments. Where it does work,,, it is on the ground (earth contact) portion of a coop. There is also need for moisture to make the microbes work properly. Arizona is quite dry in climate matters. Additionally, it does not work well in a raised portion of a coop floor. For it to work,, in dry conditions,,, it would need to be wet down and I am not sure how much, or often. That would lead to all types of rotting situations of your wooden coop.
Of course I do have a good suggestion. Go with Deep Bedding Method. It involves the use of whatever you decide on,,,,,, (pine shavings, straw, hay, or any other bedding/litter material) Place a layer of one half of what ever you would do for DLM. 2 to 3 inches should work well. When it gets used up/spent/soiled,,, rake out into run area, or relocate to compost pile.
That is what I do in my coop. I use hay.
Hope this gives you some ideas. :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom