Arizona Chickens

Yeah, I have come to believe that cooling their coop at night is the biggest help. I believe...perhaps incorrectly...that a part of the build up that causes heat stroke is the chemical build up in their bodies caused by the constant panting. It seemed like having them sleep comfortably really decreased their stress during the day (which of course makes complete logical sense!)
Mine like to sleep outside in the attached run when it's hot in the summer. I have thing's out there for them to roost on too and it's predator secure, so I let them roost where they feel the most comfortable at.

Yeah, I have come to believe that cooling their coop at night is the biggest help. I believe...perhaps incorrectly...that a part of the build up that causes heat stroke is the chemical build up in their bodies caused by the constant panting. It seemed like having them sleep comfortably really decreased their stress during the day (which of course makes complete logical sense!)
that does make sense! they're panting away, but they won't get down from the roost to drink. I did use a swamp cooler in black canyon. they make them built for outdoor use, so if the unit itself is out of the weather, and its plug/extension cord is, that should be OK. I think it was a Haier model, about $150. It's a lot better than adding all that moisture from misting systems, though you could aim the misters on the roof or just beyond the roost to still help cool it and not drown the birds.

Well, I finally got internet back yesterday afternoon. I made it to Kansas and only got the RV stuck in 1 snowdrift, 2 miles from the new farm. Grrrr it was on Saturday Night at 10 pm. Did not get here until 1 am Sunday.
What's funny is that I moved here to AZ. from Kansas, and I do not miss the snow, the wind, nor the tornado's. Good luck over there!

What's funny is that I moved here to AZ. from Kansas
My DD#3 can return to Kansas at will. We named her Dorothy,, and these are her shoes.
1642798418384.png

Well, I finally got internet back yesterday afternoon. I made it to Kansas and only got the RV stuck in 1 snowdrift, 2 miles from the new farm. Grrrr it was on Saturday Night at 10 pm. Did not get here until 1 am Sunday.
It must be great to be in your new place, internet, and hopefully you're settling in.Take care and pace yourself in getting the new place set up.

Back
Top Bottom