Arizona Chickens

Good morning, Arizona peeps!

th-1384806154.jpeg

NN Bresse mix going broody again...LOL

I have to pick her up and put her where she usually roosts - otherwise she is trying to sleep under everyone roosting at nite- yuck! Hers will be the next eggs I want to hatch but IDK when- maybe August?
Those always were going broody, especially in the hottest part of the summer. So, if you are wanting to hatch egg's from her, you'll have to set up one of those broody breaking cages. A broody won't lay egg's.

When I had those over here, one was persistent and went broody twice that one summer.

Well someone was trying to crow this morning. It wasn't the barred cockerel, nor the meat bird that might be a pullet. I thought it might be the black ameraucana! Ugh! But I think it was the roadrunner. I put him on craigslist. If anyone wants him, let me know. He really is a beautiful bird, and with his blue/irridescent ear lobes, I'm thinknig (I know it's a wives tale) he could pass on the blue egg gene to his chicks. Definitely would be a line of nice, smaller, predator savvy foragers though.

Well someone was trying to crow this morning. It wasn't the barred cockerel, nor the meat bird that might be a pullet. I thought it might be the black ameraucana! Ugh! But I think it was the roadrunner. I put him on craigslist. If anyone wants him, let me know. He really is a beautiful bird, and with his blue/irridescent ear lobes, I'm thinknig (I know it's a wives tale) he could pass on the blue egg gene to his chicks. Definitely would be a line of nice, smaller, predator savvy foragers though.
Good luck with re-homing him.

Good luck with re-homing him.
Agreed, good luck. It's not easy to re-home a cockerel.

As of a few minutes ago, my chicks, who turn 6 weeks old today and tomorrow, are outdoors, but not before Belly/Nellie escaped in the house and gave me a really hard time catching her.

I'm guessing 3-4 cockerels out of the 7 chicks, so it won't be long before some roos will be available here, too. If his eyes keep getting redder as he gets his adult coloring, I might just keep Big Blue and let Rolex go instead.

The chicken tractor is now inside the larger, enhanced run, and I set it up so the wind would not hit it broadside and knock it over. It flows over the slanted side instead. It has stayed just fine through some really windy days, so it looks like this should work just fine. As soon as the chicks were inside it, I opened the coop and let the adults out. Big Ben and Fancy immediately started circling the chicken tractor while the others stayed back.

Right now the chicks are secured in the chicken tractor. On Tuesday I plan to section off a part of the run so the chicks and adults can see each other but not get to each other. If all goes well, I'll open a part so the little ones can get through.

Back
Top Bottom