Arizona Chickens

BlueBaby

I think you need to diversify your operation.
Here is my IDEA. :yesss:
RENTAROOSTER @ BLUEBABY . COM :old:idunno
I don't think so. I don't mind loaning one of my boy's to this next door neighbor because it's the one's that I animal sit for and I know that their flock isn't sick. Renting out a rooster mean's that you have to take him back and there would be a possibility that he could have picked up a disease to bring back home.

I don't think so. I don't mind loaning one of my boy's to this next door neighbor because it's the one's that I animal sit for and I know that their flock isn't sick. Renting out a rooster mean's that you have to take him back and there would be a possibility that he could have picked up a disease to bring back home.
I'm curious. Never had a rooster. How long does the roo need to stay with the hen? And how many of her eggs become fertile in that time? Could a hen be brought to the rooster? (I've been in touch with the gal that sold me my Novogen Browns. She isn't planning on raising more til next year. She does have a rooster though & this discussion on byc made me wonder about getting my remaining gal together with her rooster. Don't know if any of this is possible. Curious though.)

I'm curious. Never had a rooster. How long does the roo need to stay with the hen? And how many of her eggs become fertile in that time? Could a hen be brought to the rooster? (I've been in touch with the gal that sold me my Novogen Browns. She isn't planning on raising more til next year. She does have a rooster though & this discussion on byc made me wonder about getting my remaining gal together with her rooster. Don't know if any of this is possible. Curious though.)
If you think that you can trust that her flock isn't sick, you might be able to try it. It would most likely take 3 to 4 day's to make sure that the egg's would have a bullseye in them to show that the rooster had done his job with her. Then to be on the safe side I would try to reintegrate her with the rest of your flock, as she would be an outsider by then.

Edited to add a thought. Would it be possible for you to get hatching egg's from her, since she has a rooster but doesn't want to hatch chick's this year herself?

If you think that you can trust that her flock isn't sick, you might be able to try it. It would most likely take 3 to 4 day's to make sure that the egg's would have a bullseye in them to show that the rooster had done his job with her. Then to be on the safe side I would try to reintegrate her with the rest of your flock, as she would be an outsider by then.

Edited to add a thought. Would it be possible for you to get hatching egg's from her, since she has a rooster but doesn't want to hatch chick's this year herself?
Now that's an idea-- to see if she would be willing to sell hatching eggs. That would be less stress on my remaining gal. She hasn't laid an egg for 3 days since the loss of her friend. (haven't checked today yet)
Is there a chicken keeper's etiquette regarding this? If I end up with a rooster and at some point decide to sell chicks, is that considered poor form towards the woman who may sell the hatching eggs? (bearing in mind that Novogen Browns are not readily available in the area)

Now that's an idea-- to see if she would be willing to sell hatching eggs. That would be less stress on my remaining gal. She hasn't laid an egg for 3 days since the loss of her friend. (haven't checked today yet)
Is there a chicken keeper's etiquette regarding this? If I end up with a rooster and at some point decide to sell chicks, is that considered poor form towards the woman who may sell the hatching eggs? (bearing in mind that Novogen Browns are not readily available in the area)
No. If you buy them as hatching egg's, the seller knows that you will also have boy's that will hatch. You bought them, so they are your's to do with as you will. When I sell my hatching egg's, I am happy that someone will like the breed that I have well enough to help to increase their number's by breeding them, especially in the hard time's that we are currently experiencing in the chicken world. Egg's aren't the only thing going up in prices in the store, it's also the chicken meat too. I'm glad that I have a good dual-purpose breed that is good for both of those if it's needed.

No. If you buy them as hatching egg's, the seller knows that you will also have boy's that will hatch. You bought them, so they are your's to do with as you will. When I sell my hatching egg's, I am happy that someone will like the breed that I have well enough to help to increase their number's by breeding them, especially in the hard time's that we are currently experiencing in the chicken world. Egg's aren't the only thing going up in prices in the store, it's also the chicken meat too. I'm glad that I have a good dual-purpose breed that is good for both of those if it's needed.
Thanks. The egg prices are making chicks quite the commodity. I was at Cal-Ranch yesterday picking up some feed. Noticed they were setup to sell chicks so asked them when they were getting them in. The guy said they already had gotten them and they all sold within 2 hours! (They have more coming next Friday.)

Thanks. The egg prices are making chicks quite the commodity. I was at Cal-Ranch yesterday picking up some feed. Noticed they were setup to sell chicks so asked them when they were getting them in. The guy said they already had gotten them and they all sold within 2 hours! (They have more coming next Friday.)
Yes, there is a high demand for them right now. It's still going to take 4 to 6 month's depending on the breed for those pullet chick's to grow up enough to lay that first egg.

The guy from Omega Hill's Farm where I got these egg's from called me on the phone today to make sure that I got them ok. It seems that the post office here didn't tell him that they were already in my hand's. I think that is pretty good on a hatchery that will check up and confirm thing's with you, and they packed those egg's very well. I give them a 5 thumb's up!

Back
Top Bottom