Arizona Chickens

What age are your 6 now?
How long do you think my current brooder will fit these 2 chicks? (Trying to figure out what I might need to do before they're big enough to put in a growout pen.)
In my experience it’s easiest to integrate around 4 weeks. The chicks are still small enough not to be considered a threat to resources and fast enough to get away from the bigs. All you need is a safe spot in the coop/run for them to get away from the bigs. If you expose them now to dirt from the run then they’ll build natural immunity like a chick hatched by a broody. Good luck!

Good morning AZ. Our weather has been incredible! Loving the rain and cool temps; so is my yard! The fruit trees all bloomed and then turned green, the grass for the dogs is greening up, and some fairly newly transplants have never had to be watered with the hose this year. I see you’re all ready for warmer weather but not me; I’m really enjoying our temps. I’m getting about 3 dozen eggs a week so I’m going to water glass some for winter and I’ve given hubs a few dozen to take to work. Went to the feed store last weekend and their chick buns were super busy! I went back on Tuesday when something came back into stock and the bins were empty! They often have a few roosters around but none of those either. I saw families with young kids and older adults with even older parents so there’s quite a range of folks starting a new flock.

Good morning AZ. Our weather has been incredible! Loving the rain and cool temps; so is my yard! The fruit trees all bloomed and then turned green, the grass for the dogs is greening up, and some fairly newly transplants have never had to be watered with the hose this year. I see you’re all ready for warmer weather but not me; I’m really enjoying our temps. I’m getting about 3 dozen eggs a week so I’m going to water glass some for winter and I’ve given hubs a few dozen to take to work. Went to the feed store last weekend and their chick buns were super busy! I went back on Tuesday when something came back into stock and the bins were empty! They often have a few roosters around but none of those either. I saw families with young kids and older adults with even older parents so there’s quite a range of folks starting a new flock.
Weather looks nice this coming week ❤️ At my house the winds have been whipping up like crazy. Tired of being indoors listening to it.

Went to the feed store last weekend and their chick buns were super busy! I went back on Tuesday when something came back into stock and the bins were empty! They often have a few roosters around but none of those either. I saw families with young kids and older adults with even older parents so there’s quite a range of folks starting a new flock.
I was there Thursday and they had a lot...but I believe they had just arrived (a day earlier than their usual Friday delivery). I saw they had a "station" set up with a sign saying "line starts here for chicks". So for sure they've become used to a mad run on chicks. (Thankfully no line when I was there otherwise I may not have gotten any. :gig )

@igorsMistress thanks for the advice about the dirt. You don't think they're too young (5 days) for exposure?

I was there Thursday and they had a lot...but I believe they had just arrived (a day earlier than their usual Friday delivery). I saw they had a "station" set up with a sign saying "line starts here for chicks". So for sure they've become used to a mad run on chicks. (Thankfully no line when I was there otherwise I may not have gotten any. :gig )

@igorsMistress thanks for the advice about the dirt. You don't think they're too young (5 days) for exposure?
I bet they are used to it by now lol, it was pretty crazy!

It’s not too early at all. Any chicks your girls would hatch would be exposed within a couple of days max. My broodies hatch babies in the coop and always have their chicks out learning to forage before the chicks are five days old. It helps them build natural immunity to whatever is in your yard. They would love a dust bath, I used a shallow plastic bin and the chicks are so darn cute when they take a bath.

She's making payment on the wet feed that they got this morning. I got 4 egg's already before I took this picture.

Hen on nest.jpg

Back
Top Bottom