Arizona Chickens

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Hi back!

It seems like I know you from somewhere.
wink.png

Becky

Hehe... guilty... :eek:P

Sorry, it's been a while, internet doesn't like to work all the time!

Mahonri, holy cow that's so awesome! I absolutely love Glenn Beck. The only thing I miss about having television is being able to watch Glenn Beck and Clean House.

Quote:
Hi, and welcome! I love this place so much. I learn something new all the time and cannot wait until I have a place of my own to have chickens. Good luck! Chickens are great fun!

My big coop with the Ameraucanas is going through a molt... feathers EVERYWHERE... hopefully it ends soon and I'll start getting some eggs. I'm tired of feeding the freeloaders...

Oh, and hey, was it cool at your house this morning 72 degrees in my backyard. The pool was refreshing to swim in tonight!

Mahonri - Did you say you got to go see Glenn Beck? Must have been awesome! I just told hubby that and his jaw dropped in the "I wanted to go" look.

I am wondering if anyone has had any laying issues resulting in changing feed. Up until recently I was consistantly getting several eggs a week from 3 coops. I'm down to 1 egg out of these coops in the past two weeks. The only thing I can think of that's changed is the feed. I've gone from Purina to the Egg Maker. I prefer Purina, but I have to travel a minimum of about 50 miles to get it and its not always reasonable to drive to get it when needed. Could this reasonably effect production? But at the same time my (not laying yet) Silkies started laying.

My last quail hatch was also a complete failure. All died. Very sad.

I guess on a better note, my husband started a new job closer to home (50 miles closer) and he will have Wednesdays off so we can go to family services at church!

Quote:
Tell hubby we went for him.... but there were lots of other folks from AZ there... and that too was amazing.

Just to give you a tiny idea of how crowded it was... this is looking SE from the area where we were sitting to the NE of Jumbotron #2 on the north side... you can see the crowded WWII memorial in the distance on the east end of the reflecting pool.

10376_img_0281.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
we are in Arizona City. During the hot days we used a double-nozzle mister outside of the coop, which gets shade duringth e PM. it is mostly wire for good ventilation, and the mist will blow in and get the floor wet.... and the feed. We use a sandy dirt floor and replace the dirt/ sand regularly. No heat distress seen. We used an electric fan a few days when not btreezy, as a Dark Brahma hens was "panting". The birds range on the lawn in late afternoon, and put themselves to bed at dusk. They always have fresh water, and do not eat much when it's raelly hot, so we have not restricted feed.

Last edited:
Quote:
We went from purina to family farm egg maker. The feed store in town only carries the Arizona grains brand of feed and nail you at $18.16 per bag. I refuse to pay that much for junk feed and if I'm not mistaken, its only a 40 pound bag. It looks like I will have to start driving up to the valley to get feed.

Back
Top Bottom