Arizona Chickens

ca... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Well, those European roos should start getting frisky soon.

They are the only reason I'll be pulling out the bator any time soon

Last edited:
Quote:
We got seasons! For the next 9 months it will be beautiful weather - then hot as heck for three - rinse & repeat

Mikey, Mikey. Seasons are when you have beautiful red leaves on the maple trees, cool autumn nights, snow in the winter, skiing and sledding, redbuds in the spring, tornado season and spring storms, then a two to three month summer before it all starts over again.
I used to be in a skiing club in CO and could hardly wait until the mountains had enough snow for the ski areas to open up. We'd schedule our afternoon classes to be easy in winter ( the only season I didn't have a sport) and ditch class to go up to Eldora for night skiing.
Winter is also fox hunting season. Trouble with fox hunting around here is that it's so dry there's no scent so the hounds have a terrible time, plus the rattlesnakes are out until it really cools off.
Winter is good times!

i took ski class at NAU. i passed that with flying colors, no tutor necessary! ah, the good ole days. and i am willing to bet if you took my beagle on a hunt, he would find something for you. that darn dog ALWAYS finds something.

mahonri, laree is a bit laid up. you might want to call her. CALL HER!!!!!!!

Quote:
Mikey, Mikey. Seasons are when you have beautiful red leaves on the maple trees, cool autumn nights, snow in the winter, skiing and sledding, redbuds in the spring, tornado season and spring storms, then a two to three month summer before it all starts over again.
I used to be in a skiing club in CO and could hardly wait until the mountains had enough snow for the ski areas to open up. We'd schedule our afternoon classes to be easy in winter ( the only season I didn't have a sport) and ditch class to go up to Eldora for night skiing.
Winter is also fox hunting season. Trouble with fox hunting around here is that it's so dry there's no scent so the hounds have a terrible time, plus the rattlesnakes are out until it really cools off.
Winter is good times!

i took ski class at NAU. i passed that with flying colors, no tutor necessary! ah, the good ole days. and i am willing to bet if you took my beagle on a hunt, he would find something for you. that darn dog ALWAYS finds something.

mahonri, laree is a bit laid up. you might want to call her. CALL HER!!!!!!!

I bet your beagle would find something. Chicken, maybe?

Quote:
I'm with you! We've a wood stove and it gets fired up early in the season!

If it drops below 70 I put on a parka!

Whimps!
tongue2.gif
You guys don't know what cold is until you lived in Omaha, NE. 70 degrees is when we broke out the shorts!
big_smile.png

Been there, done that. There is a reason I live here
smile.png

I got you beat Mahonri, I lived for five years in Marquette, MI. We used to drive down south to Milwaukee to experience the nice weather.
lau.gif
Not really. Milwaukee was the BIG city to us and it always seemed exciting and exotic. Makes me laugh now that I think of it. Actually, the coldest place I ever lived was Iowa City, IA. That place was COLD. I gotta imagine that Omaha/Council Bluffs was as bad or even worse. The biggest thing I miss about the north was the skiing. I lived with some crazy guys and we used to go on epic nighttime full-moon excursions. I don't know how I ever kept up.

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't really like northern IA or WY so much. Those winters were pretty persistent. boulder and OK on the other hand, gave you a lot of nice sunny warming breaks in the winter. I think Boulder was nearly perfect, especially the spring, summer and fall, winter really wasn't bad, either, although those winds could drive you to insanity sometimes. Gale force winds for days on end occasionally. But, who could argue with summer days in the 80s-mid -90s?
OK had some pretty severe summers but they really do only last three months or less and the winters are very short. Our cattle could go most of the year grazing if we had a large enough pasture and it wasn't a terrible drought year. Usually, December and January were cold, then you started to get dogwoods blooming in Feb, it was spring. My favorite time of year there was fall and spring. Despite the tornadoes, I really love thunderstorms. Plus, all the baby animals being born, blossoms and in the fall, things change color and the fruit on the trees. Apples, pears, yummy.

Quote:
I'm with you! We've a wood stove and it gets fired up early in the season!

If it drops below 70 I put on a parka!

Whimps!
tongue2.gif
You guys don't know what cold is until you lived in Omaha, NE. 70 degrees is when we broke out the shorts!
big_smile.png

I'm from Colorado.
I've lived in Papillion, NE.
I've lived in Gloucester & Newport News, VA.

I know what cold is
big_smile.png
And...when I go outside & all my waterers, hoses, & water pipes are frozen solid - it's COLD hahahaha...my kids hate it!!!

Quote:
I went to college in Mt. Vernon, IA, just 20 miles from Iowa City! OMG was it cold! Practically northern MN cold! It was worse than when I lived up by Cheyenne! I remember those snowy walkways taller than my head, by the end of the winter it was like walking through snow caves to get to class! They closed off several streets in town because it was so hilly and it wasn't worth snow plowing those streets so the hilly streets became sledding streets all winter. I was on the indoor track team and we were supposed to go to Uof IA to use their track, but they were rebuilding, so we had to run outside all winter. I was a distance runner. For my morning workout, I cross-country skied through town once the snow came, instead of running, 3 miles every morning, right on the town streets. The winter just goes forever and the spring thaw is muddy, damp and cold.
Although, the flowers on the campus of Cornell College were stunning. Lilacs everywhere. Almost enough to make you forget winter. And, fall was like nowhere else I've ever seen. It looked like pictures of Vermont, red maples, purple plums, it was so colorful and the Germans, Amish, Lutherans knew how to celebrate October like non where else. We even polka danced on campus!

Quote:
Aw!!! That is supercool!
I did not get a cake (I was at work and DH is allergic to the kitchen) but he was creative and I got a candle on an old cookie
lau.gif
. I could not have eaten more anyway. They fill you up at the Hog Trough! So now counting the days until I am 27
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom