Arizona Chickens

Quote:
Thanks Cathy - that sounds awesome. Heard similar things from a few friends here in Phoenix on BR's vs. RIR's. What did you do regarding the coop?

Quote:
Yeah, more like 5-6! It's too hot for me from April through the end of October!
barnie.gif

I know I came from a cold area but I love the heat!
yippiechickie.gif

In a few weeks you're gonna start hearing me say, "I want my summer back!"

I am really good outside up to around 110 - after that it gets a bit warm for me.

Three months of heat, nine months of beautiful weather - I'm sticking by it!

I'm really good until about 90. Then I'm ready for it to cool off. I guess it's my Finnish heritage? Mom's from N.MN and we spent at least a month up there, way up north every summer. My uncle was the supervisor of a state forest nursery in Akeley and grandparents lived in Wawina ( not Wadina). The population is currently 963! Finnish is the first language in the township.
lau.gif
the township is north of Duluth, MN, near the huge metropolis of Floodwood. I remember fishing on Pancake Lake and grandpa got the boat stuck. Then, they got the tractor stuck, then another tractor. Finally got everything out with a third, bigger tractor. I must have been about five or six at the time. We actually have the family movie of grandpa and my brother riding all the tractors and boat back, burned to a CD. Boy, those mosquitoes were something!
No running water, no indoor plumbing. For bathing, we had this wonderful sauna that my grandpa and uncle built, wood fired, of course. For water, we hauled the water from a little hand pumped well.
If we wanted an extra fancy sauna, we walked over to my great aunt and Uncle's house, they had a huge sauna. Still wood fired but that thing could hold a party of twenty. The tradition was to cut a bunch of willow branches, soak in water for an hour before the bath. Then, while bathing, you slap your back with the branches to invigorate yourself. Felt great!
Those saunas were the best! Mom and grandma would sit on the top and throw so much steam, it's a wonder they wouldn't have ahead stroke.
Than, into the dressing room and cool off with fresh cool water. Repeat a couple of times if you like.
In winter, you could run out in the snow. We never visited in winter, the drive from CO was too treacherous. It would have been fun, though. Everyone was into snowmobiling and ice fishing in a big way.

Last edited:
I read last night that you feed dried moringa leaves as an alternative protein source for chickens as up to 20% of their feed! Dang, I need to plant a bunch of those trees. How fast do they grow when it warms up?
I can keep them under lights until then where I start my seedlings.

Quote:
Welcome Caveman! I'm new to chickens too but have been fabbing forever. Take a look at peoples pages (right under their name is a page link) and you'll see bunches fo coops & birds. Especially check out Gallo's coop - he is a Master!

Be careful though - easy to get addicted!

Quote:
Mikey, Mikey. Seasons are when you have beautiful red leaves on the maple trees, cool autumn nights, snow in the winter, skiing and sledding, redbuds in the spring, tornado season and spring storms, then a two to three month summer before it all starts over again.
I used to be in a skiing club in CO and could hardly wait until the mountains had enough snow for the ski areas to open up. We'd schedule our afternoon classes to be easy in winter ( the only season I didn't have a sport) and ditch class to go up to Eldora for night skiing.
Winter is also fox hunting season. Trouble with fox hunting around here is that it's so dry there's no scent so the hounds have a terrible time, plus the rattlesnakes are out until it really cools off.
Winter is good times!

Yeah, I know. I grew up on Long Island & then spent 5 years In Oswego NY. Remember a few years ago there was a little town on lake Ontario that got 10 feet of snow in a 24 hour period? That was Oswego. Lake effect snow was incredible! And lake Ontario is a darn big lake! The city would get 3 or 4 feet of snow overnight, push it off to the side and everything would go on business as usual

Snow was fun, I remember sledding as a kid & that is the only regret I have about bringing my kids up in AZ but we get to go camping & dirtbike riding - stuff that wasn't available to me as a kid in NY.

*** Edited 'cause - well, you know... ***

Ok, Ok, I have to chime in. I LOVE Arizona. The Valley, not so much, I'm from up North. Here's a picture of my parent's place, where I grew up, last January. That's my oldest, then 5, on the right side tramping through the snow.
98797_img_0042.jpg

Back
Top Bottom