Arizona Chickens

Quote:
That's what I was wondering. Kinda like an air curtain on walk-in refrigerators and freezers. Keep the birds out while the chickens can go in and out. My coop is all open too. Basically frame, a back and roof and the rest is framed with chicken wire so air flow isn't a problem. If moving the food inside the coop doesn't work I will try to hang plastic strips or something like it. Last resort will be the bird netting. I did put some feed in a pan outside the run for the wild birds. My plan is to move it further and further away from the coop and run everyday to keep them out of the area

I brought home some 11# solid ice blocks from my store. I own a Water & Ice Store in Gilbert and make the blocks on site. During the real hot days last week I put 1 block in the coop at about 10:30 in the morning. When I came home for dinner at 6:00 there was still some left (about 20% of it). The girls loved it. They pecked at it, stood by it, stood on it, layed on it and drank the ice cold water from it. I only put out 1 block for 4 chickens and it seemed to keep them really cool during those hot days. I just thought I would share because the next 2 days are supposed to be really, really hot with extreme heat warnings. Most Water & Ice Stores sell the solid blocks. Don't use the blocks from Circle K or other convenience stores because they are not solid. They are pressed block which is made by smashing cubes together. They fall apart and don't last nearly as long as the solid blocks do. I'm not trying to plug my store, I just wanted to share what seemed to work for my chickens and what may make yours more comfortable during the hot days.

what is the price for the ice blocks at your store

I brought home some 11# solid ice blocks from my store. I own a Water & Ice Store in Gilbert and make the blocks on site. During the real hot days last week I put 1 block in the coop at about 10:30 in the morning. When I came home for dinner at 6:00 there was still some left (about 20% of it). The girls loved it. They pecked at it, stood by it, stood on it, layed on it and drank the ice cold water from it. I only put out 1 block for 4 chickens and it seemed to keep them really cool during those hot days. I just thought I would share because the next 2 days are supposed to be really, really hot with extreme heat warnings. Most Water & Ice Stores sell the solid blocks. Don't use the blocks from Circle K or other convenience stores because they are not solid. They are pressed block which is made by smashing cubes together. They fall apart and don't last nearly as long as the solid blocks do. I'm not trying to plug my store, I just wanted to share what seemed to work for my chickens and what may make yours more comfortable during the hot days.

LOL i know. Oh i bet i could talk you into a splash, maybe even a blue if you dont have one by now. =D Ya i just wish my girls would lay more. They keep going broody on me. They both have laid 6-10 eggs and then started sitting again.....silkies.
Nope no blues for me. We have a lot of blue type fowl which includes my turkey and a blue Orpinton maybe now some ameraucana so that's enough. Now splash I like!

Bootsie those last 8 unhatched eggs I broke open. 4 were early dudes. 2 made it half way and two full term but something kept them from hatching. I am happy with my 7 healthy fuzz butts and the cute turklets I got from Puffy.

Quote:
I sell them for $2.75. I will sell them to the board members here at BYC for $2.25. I'm at Ray and Val Vista on the SE corner.

Back
Top Bottom