Arizona Chickens

We are headed out of town soon and wondering if anyone knows a service (such as a pet sitting service) I can call that can check on our 6 chickens while we are out of town. We live in the Scottsdale. Bonus is our chickens just started laying eggs (got our 1st one yesterday - very exciting) so it would be nice treat for whoever we could get to come by.

Where in Scottsdale? My babysitter also chicken sits for us when we leave. She's awesome. I could ask her. PM if you want me to ask.

Last edited:
Well said pimachickens.. I think this thread is the best one in the forum, and not just because I lived in Az for over 40 years.. All of the people here are actually more friendly than they appear, and they do care.. That means a lot.. I like to start my day on this thread because it sets the mood for the day, and it is always good.. Sometimes sad, but the overall mood is good.. Add to that the knowledge and wisdom shared by the whole grup, and it can't be beat.. drjinnidvm couldn't have chosen a better group to join, IMHO...  

Edited because I didn't mean to offend anyone. :(

Last edited:
Killed our first snake of the season. it has already swallowed a serama whole. it was a 5 foot long bull snake. Augh i hate snakes!
I am sorry you killed a bull snake. Very Sorry it got your serama but it was just being a snake. They kill rodents mostly and kill rattlesnakes plus keeps them away from your area. Try to relocate a Good snake rather than kill it.

Last edited:
Killed our first snake of the season. it has already swallowed a serama whole. it was a 5 foot long bull snake. Augh i hate snakes!

I am so sorry
hugs.gif
poor little Serama
hit.gif

I am sorry you killed a bull snake. Very Sorry it got your serama but it was just being a snake. They kill rodents mostly and kill rattlesnakes plus keeps them away from your area. Try to relocate a Good snake rather than kill it.
Relocation is second best from learning to live with them. Relocated snakes frequently die. They don't know the territory, which may already be occupied. How would you like to be plunked down in the middle of New York City without a map?
All snakes have a home range, they are not just wandering willy-nilly. As a poultry keeper, you need to do what it takes to keep your charges safe. Try putting up a small mesh wire around the enclosure--1/4" or 1/2" hardware cloth will keep out snakes big enough to eat a Serama. 2' up will be a deterrent to bullsnakes, they don't climb much. Better yet, and free, take down and use those annoying political signs after the election--they make excellent barriers. Bullsnakes also do NOT kill or eat rattlesnakes--it is the kingsnakes that do that. Bullsnakes (gopher snakes) eat rodents, birds, bird eggs. Would you rather have lots of mice and rats around to thieve your expensive feed? They do a good service and remember they lived in the desert before humans took over their habitat. End of sermon.
I have 40+ years experience as a herpetologist....

Relocation is second best from learning to live with them. Relocated snakes frequently die. They don't know the territory, which may already be occupied. How would you like to be plunked down in the middle of New York City without a map?
All snakes have a home range, they are not just wandering willy-nilly. As a poultry keeper, you need to do what it takes to keep your charges safe. Try putting up a small mesh wire around the enclosure--1/4" or 1/2" hardware cloth will keep out snakes big enough to eat a Serama. 2' up will be a deterrent to bullsnakes, they don't climb much. Better yet, and free, take down and use those annoying political signs after the election--they make excellent barriers. Bullsnakes also do NOT kill or eat rattlesnakes--it is the kingsnakes that do that. Bullsnakes (gopher snakes) eat rodents, birds, bird eggs. Would you rather have lots of mice and rats around to thieve your expensive feed? They do a good service and remember they lived in the desert before humans took over their habitat. End of sermon.
I have 40+ years experience as a herpetologist....
We have all that. They burrow from under the ground. I live in the middle of the desert and they are a dime a dozen. If they are not eating eggs they are eating chicks. If we find them out of the coop around the house we relocate them miles down the way, still in the desert. But once they are in the coop eating chickens, even 3 month old chickens, they are dead. I would rather have the mice and rats because they dont eat show quality seramas that just got shipped from Cali.

OK All Ya'll - Quick!

Who remembers the # to the AZ state vet?

Gretchen's sister is still rattling and it is Day 4 with the Tylan.

Tammy is going to call & she is sick to and I'd like to just be able to text her the #

I'm hitting the road pretty soon (1/2 hour) so if you can't find it I'll do some research.

Thanks folks!

Back
Top Bottom