Arizona flock killed, looking for clues on culprit

Whynaz

In the Brooder
May 6, 2021
I had a flock of 13 chickens (between 2-4 years old). They have a fully enclosed run with attached coop. Got up this morning and all were dead. Feathers everywhere. Half inside the run half inside the coop. Most had no visible wounds. One had its head almost removed, one had broken wings, one had a smashed head and one had a large neck wound. Hardly any blood.

They were fine when we went to bed. This is an urban backyard set up in Arizona. I’m crushed as these were my first birds that I raised from babies.

Nothing has changed food or water wise and the temps aren’t unbearable yet. No poisons are sprayed in the yard. No torn up fencing, no tunnels.

Any idea as to what could have happened? No pictures and I didn’t keep any for necropsy

animals like racoons are surprising in what they can get into, a swinging nest box door thats up high but not latched, wire thats maybe old and rusty and split alittle, they can squeeze through an amazingly small opening .. something smaller like a weasel, well, its got to be air tight almost ..

Back
Top Bottom