So sorry for your losses.
During the night your birds are helpless, and need to be in a predator proof coop. Many predators will have a wonderful time killing everyone, and plan to return for bodies later.
We learned the hard way that night is the most dangerous time for chickens! Please plan to manage better when you get more birds!
Mary

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss! Coops and runs need to be built to protect your chickens at night and during the day when you can't safely free range them. Using 1/2" hardware cloth over vents and all openings with secure latches and an apron prevents losses! Coons won't quit until they kill the last chicken.This wasn't a bird of prey sorry!

I had 1 adult speckled Sussex rooster, 1 adult speckled Sussex hen, 1 adult sapphire gem hen, 1 adult buff orpington, 1 adult sapphire gem / speckled Sussex cross, 1 adult orpington / Sussex cross, and 6 nearly fully grown wyadottes bullets. They free ranged in my yard and get put up at night. I have the flu and didn't put them up last night. I just let them roost on a little structure I built for them to keep them out of the weater.

I woke up this morning to find all 6 of my waydottes missing and my orpington, Sussex, and sapphire gem / Sussex cross all missing thier heads. They were just laying out in the yard missing their heads. They weren't near any fencing that a racoon could have pulled thier heads through, and there is no way an owl could have eaten 6 wyandottes plus the heads of 3 hen. Anyone have any idea what could have killed the majority of my flock last night? Has anyone ever heard of a massacre on this level?
We will gladly help you come up with a better plan if you should decide to get more chickens (or chicks) between now and spring! I'm sorry for your loss!

I had 1 adult speckled Sussex rooster, 1 adult speckled Sussex hen, 1 adult sapphire gem hen, 1 adult buff orpington, 1 adult sapphire gem / speckled Sussex cross, 1 adult orpington / Sussex cross, and 6 nearly fully grown wyadottes bullets. They free ranged in my yard and get put up at night. I have the flu and didn't put them up last night. I just let them roost on a little structure I built for them to keep them out of the weater.

I woke up this morning to find all 6 of my waydottes missing and my orpington, Sussex, and sapphire gem / Sussex cross all missing thier heads. They were just laying out in the yard missing their heads. They weren't near any fencing that a racoon could have pulled thier heads through, and there is no way an owl could have eaten 6 wyandottes plus the heads of 3 hen. Anyone have any idea what could have killed the majority of my flock last night? Has anyone ever heard of a massacre on this level?
OMG, that's so sad and scary! 😱 I can't believe something like that happened to your chickens. It must be really hard for you. Maybe it was a fox or something? I heard they can be sneaky and get into coops. Or maybe a wild animal got them. It's just super weird that their heads are missing. I hope you find out what happened and that the rest of your chickens stay safe. 🐔💔

My neighbor behind me doesn't lock up her flock, ever...a couple months ago I saw 2 foxes on my outside cameras, they killed 17 of her chickens (a couple they ate right there on her property) and 5 ducks, they hauled the rest away. Nothing was left in the morning besides a bunch of feathers and a couple carcasses. I'm sorry about your birds, I'd definitely look into an auto door. I've had a Run Chicken door for over 3yrs and never had any problems with it.

Coons will eat what they want and leave a bloody mess. Sometimes they won't eat a single one.They will return to eat more so trapping them is easy. Foxes will kill as many as they can (esp when theres more than one fox) They'll rarely eat them on site and will carry one by one to their dens to eat later

Back
Top Bottom