arizona raised chicken run best fill?

rghowell

Chirping
Jul 8, 2019
Fort Mohave, AZ
I am looking for advice from fellow Arizonians raising chickens in the hot dry climate. My husband built a raised run with coop above, I love it so much! My issue is I am not sure what would be best to fill the run with. I have filled it with pine shavings for over a month and I am not very excited about it. They blow around, poop dries up super fast and there is no deep litter going on with this dry climate. I have a few friends that said their run is just dirt but my run is raised and has vinyl for easier cleaning. In the coop part, I do believe pine shavings are the best but I need something different for the raised run. My husband thinks sand would be horrible but I wanted to try it. I like the idea of being able to rake out the poop every couple of days like kitty litter. Anyone else in Arizona have a raised chicken run? What has worked best for the desert since there really isn't any deep litter happening in our area.
Thank you so much!

I am looking for advice from fellow Arizonians raising chickens in the hot dry climate. My husband built a raised run with coop above, I love it so much! My issue is I am not sure what would be best to fill the run with. I have filled it with pine shavings for over a month and I am not very excited about it. They blow around, poop dries up super fast and there is no deep litter going on with this dry climate. I have a few friends that said their run is just dirt but my run is raised and has vinyl for easier cleaning. In the coop part, I do believe pine shavings are the best but I need something different for the raised run. My husband thinks sand would be horrible but I wanted to try it. I like the idea of being able to rake out the poop every couple of days like kitty litter. Anyone else in Arizona have a raised chicken run? What has worked best for the desert since there really isn't any deep litter happening in our area.
Thank you so much!
Hi, I am in Arizona. Welcome to BYC! Lots of the desert folks use sand, it is what's available. Here lots use pine needles and tree trimmings chipped and shredded. Whatever is local and cheap! If you post on the Arizona thread, you will get more answers.

Hi, I am in Arizona. Welcome to BYC! Lots of the desert folks use sand, it is what's available. Here lots use pine needles and tree trimmings chipped and shredded. Whatever is local and cheap! If you post on the Arizona thread, you will get more answers.[/QUOTE
Hi, I am in Arizona. Welcome to BYC! Lots of the desert folks use sand, it is what's available. Here lots use pine needles and tree trimmings chipped and shredded. Whatever is local and cheap! If you post on the Arizona thread, you will get more answers.[/QUOTE
How do I get to the AZ Thread?

Back
Top Bottom