Arizona

Nichole77

Songster
12 Years
Jul 14, 2007
Arizona
Hi, I just registered here. I haven't gotten any chickens yet. I am trying to find out where to get them and house them, city codes and all that jazz. I live in Glendale. I also would like to find a cost effective easy to build coop. I would appreciate any info. Thanks

Hey, you can get as low as 3 chicks at mypetchicken. . .unlike other places that only let you buy 25 or more...witch is to much the cost!

-alex

I'm also in the same boat. Have you looked at eglu for your coop? Extremely well designed and easily cleanable and quite stylish.
Though you do pay a premium for that. I am going to build my coop because I have an excess of lumber that I need to get rid of and making a coop and run should do the trick.
Let me know whether you find any local breeders or hatcheries. I'm looking for cochins and silkies.

Jecho

I went to pratt's to get my chicks they also have hens and started pullets. I liked the EGlu but this is Az and plastic is out. I really liked the eglu cube but they dont sell it in the states it's also plastic and expensive. Pratts gets their birds from privetts hatchery. Our chicks are in the house as it is just too hot out and they are still young. We will build a coop soon. Good luck.

Down Town Tucson

I just got my first chickens 4 days ago!!!! It would be awesome if people in the area wanted to get together and share stories/ hand me down supplies etc. I have been doing ALOT of research but having a community would be great. I only have 3 chickens because I didn't want to dive into something I wasn't sure of (for once !!
wink.png
) Now, only a few days later, I wish I had a few more but there are still some preparations that need to be made to support many chickens. Anyway, I'm excited and want people to talk to about chickens!

I'm in Glendale. I was only going to get 3 but then I decided on 4 in case 1 died. It then turned to 5. They are now about 5 or 6 weeks old and healthy. I see alot on this site about winterizing and cold but we have the opposite problem. I want to put my stinky chicks outside but it's 108. any suggestions anyone?

Thanks for the info Susan. I'm located in Gilbert AZ. I too am worried about the temps that can be reached here. A friend of mine kept chickens in Southern Arizona and she said that as long as they had shade and water, they should do well. I figured that if you have a backyard and lawn, the regular short sprays of water should help cool them off. I have seen others talking about placing solar roof fans into the tops of the coops to generate some air currents. The other options is just to place the coop under another shade (tree or tent). My mom kept chickens in Taiwan. The summers there are typically 95 degrees farenheit and 80-95+ % humidity. They survived and thrived. I think that most of these birds are able to take some heat sometime though I think it depends on the breeds.
Thanks for the info on Pratt's. I'll check it out. Is that a feed store in Glendale? That might be a bit of a hike for me to drive. I'll try to check out feed stores down here.
Have any of you thought of any coop designs?
I have been thinking of an open ended box painted white to reflect the sun, open on the bottom (not too scare of predators) and some type of a chicken wire run.

Would you all mind letting us know which breeds you selected and why? ( for eggs, for looks, etc.?)
roll.png

Oh cool, some fellow AZ peeps.
wink.png
I'm in Peoria. I just picked up my 4 babies from The Stock Shop on Sept 11. 3 barred rocks and 1 frizzled cochin. They're still in the brooder in the house.

Back
Top Bottom