Arizonans- Where are you??

The name of the store in Glendale is Pratt's. It's on Glendale Ave at about 35 to 37 I think They keep chicks year round and that where the 5 sisters came from. They were the only place I could find cochins.

Good luck with the babies

Jacie
smile.png

Hi Nichole-
ChrystalGail is talking about Pratt's Pets which is on Glendale at about 53rd ave. They always have chicks, usually 5-7 sexed varieties and straight run bantams. I have Ameraucanas, a Rhode Island Red and an Andalusian which I got from Pratts and they all seem to be doing well. My neighbor has some Orpingtons and various white varieties. They all seem to be doing fine (this is my first year, his second with chickens). You just need to make sure that their coop/run/tractor is in full shade in the summer. I've put plywood on the top of mine and shade cloth on the side which helps, but they much prefer to free range and hide underneath bushes, especially after they've been watered and the ground is damp.
I think if you get them now, they'll be feathered out enough by the time it starts getting cold. Have fun with your chickens!

Thanks Rachel & Jacie... For the life of me I couldn't remember the name of the store!
hu.gif
But, I do have 3 kids and I blame all of my memory loss on them! LOL Good luck and let us know what you get!!!

Rachel is right. It's around 53rd Ave. I just talked to them today and they just got an assortment of chicks in. Over 500 I think he said.

Hi Chrystalgail: I only asked about the cochins of which they only got in black and I need a buff, but I'm sure it's a variety. The phone number is 623.939.3326

Hello All,
I'm in Gilbert. From California but love the lifestyle here. I currently don't have chickens yet but I have been doing the research. I saw the eglu and was struck by the idea of having chickens. When I talked about the idea with my wife and friends, they thought I was nuts. Frankly, my wife thinks I'm a bit obsessed since I've talked of nothing else.
Thanks for the info on where to get birds locally. I saw Pratt's getting best place to get live chickens in the New Times 2005. What are your experiences with started hens vs. raising chicks? I'm leaning to getting Cochins either bantams or standards and silkies.

Thanks
Jecho

Just thought I'd say hi. I'm from Flagstaff but living in Oregon now. I'll be moving to Tucson next fall. Can anyone tell me what the backyard poultry laws are within the city limits. I can't seem to find any info on the cities website.

Hi everyone-

I am in the NW part of Tucson. I have been reading the posts for over a month and learning all I can about these adorable chickens I have been talked into getting.

It all started with 4-H and the modern game bantams. They fit better in my son's hand when he shows his bird for showmanship. We were only going to get 2. Well, these chickens kinda grow on you and I ended up buying 4. Then the breeder gave me a rooster that is not show quality, but may be able to give us some quality chicks. So, what started as a 2 chicken project, had suddenly turned into a 5 chicken project.
Then, I bought some raffle tickets, and won 4 bantam RIR's.

I knew nothing about chickens, but I have been learning a lot from all of you fellow chicken lovers. And it must be working because all my chickens are still alive and they like me.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom