Arizonans- Where are you??

Heya, Rachel and Mark and Becky, we four all appear to be from Phoenix proper. Yatta*, neh?
big_smile.png

I'm the newbiest of the newbies, though: I'm chickenless! >_< Planning for when I'm old enough to move out in a year or five.

Question for y'all, especially the people in the parts of good old AZ that turns into a broiler in the summer: which breeds of chickens (especially layers) do you find most hardy in the heat? I'm leaning toward bantams, but I've heard that Penedesencas (yeah, right, like I'll be able to find any of those), Japanese varieties, Orpingtons, and Brahmas do well. Any other suggestions?

*(Sorry. I'm really into Japanese. "Yatta"="cool")

Last edited:
We're in Tucson... far Northwest side near Catalina. Thanks to everyone for the posts about keeping the ladies cool when it gets up to 150!!

We have five eight week-old chickens. A barred rock, two Rhode Island reds and two Ameraucanas (?).

Hi everyone!

I am from Vail Arizona, with my husband and 8 children. We have many animals, but we are just starting out with the chickens and ducks.

It is great fun and I am sure we will be adding more to our coops very soon!
yippiechickie.gif

Just wanted to say hi!

Tina
***Malfunction Junction***

Hello All,

The LW, Daughter, and I are on the east side of Tucson - just north of Click's Ford place @ 22nd and Wilmot. Drive around the neighborhood at dawn and you'll hear "the girls".
hmm.png

Andy

I am in Phoenix, and I have lived here all my life with exception to the three years that I got crazy and moved to Mesa. My family have always kept chickens, mostly Rhode Island Reds, but sometimes my Mom would get some of whatever was on sale at Pratt's. Poultry animals need lots of shade and water in this area. Automatic waters and sprinklers are necessary. Forget to water the animals once and you are out of business. The city has some crazy laws about chickens. Roosters are illegal, but everyone has them. Just don't keep fighting cocks. Right now, I don't have any chickens myself, but I have hopes.
Rufus

Hey fellow Arizonans...

I am in Eloy... And if you don't know where that is you aren't alone. It is just south of Casa Grande. That's right! "In the middle of no where!" Just about exactly 1/2 way between Phoenix and Tuscon. But, it's home and we love it. We have a little over an acre of land and currently have 2 horses, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 bunny, 2 fish tanks and 17 chicks (5 Americaunas, 3 Barred Rocks, 2 RIRs, 2 Black Australorps, 2 Buff ones (
idunno.gif
?), 1 Dorking, 1 Partridge Rock & 1 White Laced Red Cornish) ranging from 3 weeks to 5 days old. They are so cute!!! & So much fun! Oh yeah, and my human family: my sweet hubby, my 3 1/2 year old son, my 1 1/2 year old daughter and my 2 month old baby girl (hence the early morning post!).

In response to what does well here for egg production the Black Australorps, I've heard, do very well and produce great in the heat.

As for keeping my chickies cool during the day, I fill one of their waterers 1/2 way with water and freeze it, then fill it up the rest of the way and place in the coop for them to have cold water. Then I rotate out the other one and do the same. I also take ziplock bags of icecubes and put them in the pen for them to lay against/on. They really seem to enjoy that. I've also used frozen water bottles for them to lay against. It really helps them stay cooler. I don't water down the pen, because they are still young and I don't want to make them sick.

I will stop rambling now and go to bed!

Chrystal

I just joined today and live in Camp Verde AZ which is just 15 miles south of Cottonwood.
We also have a home in Phoenix for another few months but I'm up here most of the time. It's nice to see some people from Arizona.
I have 1 roo, a White Leghorn named Henry and the girls below who have just been with us for 2 weeks.

Jacie
byc2.jpg

Hi everybody,
I am in Glendale. I am trying to get chickens. I am working on getting a brooder together, and a tractor or hutch or something. I cant have any roos and think 3 or 4 hens would be good. I have a huge yard. Is there anything I need to consider? I think that if I get my chicks now they will be good and feathery in time for winter. Last year was very cold. if I wait until spring i think it will be too hot by the time they go out. Besidesz I want them. CL hasnt been much help. I was going to start off full grown but babies are so cute and cheap.

There is a feed store in Glendale that sells babies year round. I think they are the only ones in the Valley that do. Black Australorps tolerate the heat well and still produce well in the heat. Rocks do well also and I think I heard that Welsummers do pretty well in the heat as well. The Welsummers lay really dark terracotta brown eggs. I'm looking into getting some Sussex, because I've heard they make really great pets and they are pretty. Right now I have a Barred Rock Roo, a EE roo, a Partridge Rock pullet, a Buff Orphington pullet and a Black Australorp pullet. I also have an incubator with about 38 eggs that are mixed breeds from neighbors that are on day 13. Good luck & welcome!!! ..........Oh and with our weather the way it is, you shouldn't need the brooder for more than a week or so, depending on age. They can just go straight out side, because it stays pretty warm at night!

Back
Top Bottom