Ark for 50 hens????

Thanks so much everyone-

Yes, Patandchickens- the idea is not to keep them in- they would be free-range during the day in an orchard or pasture and the ark will be moved from one area to another. I really liked the looks of the one from Forsham and wondered if anyone had made something similar. I am moving out on acreage in the spring of next year and wanted to put something like this in the orchard.

Thanks for the pix macinabilene- I think that's a great base and it might be easier to build on that base rather than starting from scratch with a base out of wood then trying to find the tires. My DH is a building contractor and can make just about anything if I can supply the drawing or photo of what I want. I would rather it be not as tall as the one in the last photo- but that looks like it may hold many more hens( acouple hundred?) than I had in mind.

Quote:
Where can I get one of that and bigger, muchhhh bigger ?

Try your local Craigslist "Farm and Garden" section, used implement dealers in your area, or you can get them new from your local ag supply / implement dealer.

The actual deck can be built wider than the tires, but they don't come too much wider as they have to fit a road lane. You can get them in a lot longer lengths though...

http://images1.americanlisted.com/n...gon_running_gear_550_harrodsburg_12561417.jpg

Now that is awesome!

As someone else said, it is fine for laying and roosting of free range chickens, but you should have a covered area for them to get out of the rain and still be able to walk around a bit. They will not necessarily go to the roost when it rains. Also, if it rains for hours and hours or days and days, they will very much prefer a covered area to walk around. The picture of the big trailer up off the ground would allow enough room in and out for 50 chickens to strech their legs in the rain.

Back
Top Bottom