Armchair Economics

12 Acres

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Oak Harbor, OH
Hubby and I went to TSC last night to look for pine shavings for our chicks which will be arriving Apr. 14. While we were there, we decided to "look" at the baby chicks and ducks. There were four stock tanks on the floor set up for chicks and ducklings. When we got close to them I was expecting to hear lots of peeping. It was dead quiet in that store! Glancing inside the stock tanks, we could see that all of them were empty! As we left the store we asked one of the clerks if the TSC in a neighboring city had chicks or ducks and she told us that they had about 10 chicks in the morning but they were probably all gone by now, and there were no ducklings left at all. She said their next shipments of chicks would be April 1 and 8.

Surprising!

People, the chicken is back, BIG TIME. People are tired of paying high prices for bland "factory" eggs and instead are opting to raise their own chickens which produce delicious, nutritious, flavorful free-frange (when possible) eggs. People want "real" chicken meat, not the stuff you get from hybrids pumped up on antibiotics. I am one such person. We had chickens when I was a kid but got out of them. Here I am once again raising chickens. Why? Because I'm tired of paying $2.59 for crappy eggs in the grocery store! I can raise them for half that, and they will taste better!

What happens to our economy when, as a society, we start feeding ourselves more and more and spend less at the grocery stores? When the demand for grocery store eggs drops, how does it impact our local economies as well as our national economy? What message does this send companies like Tyson, Perdue and Eggland?

Grain prices probably won't drop, but if the demand for eggs drops then the producers are going to have to lower their prices to compete (with people like you and me!) while their costs remain the same. Could this put the big poultry companies in a very uncomfortable financial position?

I'm not just stopping at chickens. I'm getting meat rabbits this year too and next year we'll be shopping around for a dairy goat. Think about it...if just one in every 10 families stops buying cows' milk and instead uses their own goat's milk, what impact does that have on the dairy farmers and grocery stores?

I don't know about you folks, but we've had ENOUGH! :mad: We've drawn our line in the sand. Everyone I know is putting in a garden this year and I'm not the only person I know who will be raising poultry.

You may not think so, but we the people really do run this country. Our power lies in the way we spend our money. The people have spoken.

Talk amongst yourselves...I can't wait to hear the responses!
smile.png

Because I'm tired of paying $2.59 for crappy eggs in the grocery store! I can raise them for half that, and they will taste better!

Keep track of ALL your costs-electricity for brooding/lighting, gas for trips to the feed store, feed of course, etc and I think you'll find that store eggs are a bargain. I know some of my friends always say to me "with your hobby at least your eggs are free"-I tell them that if they were $10 a dozen they'd be cheaper.
Are home-growns better? Absolutely. Cheaper? Not hardly.

NY, good thoughts, thanks. I don't count trips to the feed store because it's on the same road as the grocery store. With gas prices the way they are, I don't make special trips for anything anymore. After doing the math I have concluded that it will cost $1.29 to produce a dozen eggs. Startup costs don't figure in. Everything has a startup cost.
wink.png

Speckledhen, I already have customers lined up at work for any extra eggs my hens produce. In my area, $2 a dozen is the going rate for homegrown brown eggs. Anyone headed to the family orchard around the corner will see that I am selling eggs as well, and I can count on lots of traffic in the fall when the fruit is in season. Location, location, location!
big_smile.png

* Ya'll forgot the labor cost of raising em, too-- but, I still like chickens better.
woot.gif
BUT, I think $2 a dozen is RIDICULOUSLY LOW for home-grown fresh eggs-- er - especially when I heard that the Health Food Store eggs that the Twiggs got to try hatching were 3 AND A HALF WEEKS OLD!!! (O-m-gosh!!)

Last edited:
I just spent close to $5 for free range eggs (They look like my BR eggs) because I had to worm everyone. FIVE DOLLARS. Five. For 12 eggs.
th.gif

So, for whatever I'm spending in feed, I get fresh eggs from chickens I know have a good life, and I have 14 entertaining animals that I love very much.
Not to mention the four crowing alarm clocks/hawk watchers.
lol.png

I looked at eggs at the store today,
"organic eggs" were about 5.00 a dozen, I can't remember if it was just over 5 or under 5.00
CS
in Oregon

I look at it as more pets and the benefit of having a good high quality food and I control what is put in it. My son eats alot of eggs due to a medical problem and my mom has cancer and wants them fresh and chemical free. Right now i get them from a cousin and I just found out an uncle is getting back into them after probably 15 years. For me it also has to do with heritage, getting back to the land, so to speak.

If one in every 10 households started raising their own chickens and eggs, be assured that the government would step up their plans to put an abrupt halt to it.
The plan is already in motion but just has not happened as a full fledged law yet. Most states are still voluntary.
I hear a few states are mandantory.
WHATS HAPPENING IN YOUR STATE? Be sure to check out National Animal Identification System (NAIS).

Back
Top Bottom