Arrested development?

Feb 20, 2021
Argentina
(Note, location Argentina.)

I have three Plymouth rock pullets, who apparently were hatched in the first week of December. Thus making them close to five and a half months old. Where I live has moderate winters by the standards of you folks up north, but it is still coming into winter, so I resign myself to having little chance of seeing an egg until at least October, when the last frost day happens. To be more precise on the exact day, I will need to find out when our annual motorcycle rally is scheduled, because for some reason, the last frost day is always on the Saturday night of that weekend.

Now the concern I wish to ask advice on, is the pullets themselves. They have grown nicely, have bulky bodies with great condition feathers. But zero sign of a proper comb or wattles. They seem to be no different than when I got them in appearance in that regard. Are they just taking longer to mature on a hormonal level because we are heading into winter? or is there likely a problem?

Food: They get their scratch available freely at all times, I give them some crushed corn that is fermented a few times a week. As a treat, about once a week they get some left over boiled rice and once a week, I give them a bowl of ground beef. Outside of that, they free range for most of the day.

It is a mystery to me but I've had birds start laying right at 4mos, and then others from the same breed & supplier took something on the order of 7mos. I'm not sure if it had something to do with the month they were born (and season) or something else.

Your birds sound just like my last batch of Dominiques and it all turned out okay! Yes, the comb and wattle development did come later.

Are they just taking longer to mature on a hormonal level because we are heading into winter?
Yes, tho once the days begin to lengthen they may start laying.

....... and also considering their diet sounds to be low in protein and vitamins/minerals/amino acids that is found in most commercial poultry feeds in the US.

ETA: do you now the nutritional percentages in what you are calling "scratch"?

ETA: do you now the nutritional percentages in what you are calling "scratch"?
I would have to check with the supplier on that. Things is, they spend from sunrise to sunset foraging up and down the creek edge and don't eat much of the scratch. I will try giving them ground beef daily and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom