Arrgg. Crazy chicken sitter.

guinea fowl galore

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Australia
This lady has looked after after my chickens (and alpacas) before. But this time I think, will be the last.
I have a bit of a complicated set up I guess, for the everyday person. I have at least eight coops always occupied and a lot of the time other cages and things as well. I make it as easy as possible though for this lady and she has been great tolerating all the roosters. This time though one of my hens went broody so I left her there seeing as I was only going to be away for a week and hadn't organized with the lady anything about a de-broody cage. So I let her know that there would be a broody in the nesting box and to just take her off everyday and make sure to take all the eggs from under her.
So I'm due back in two days but called her today making sure the tank had enough water as it had been getting low. And after talking awhile I ask her how the broody is. She said shes good and allows her to take her out of the nest, without pecking her. And then continues to say that one of the bantams has also started sitting. I say is it the brown one?( my tiny partridge Wyandotte bantam). She says yes. Then I go on saying how funny she is trying to be so ferocious all the time. Then she goes, yeah she's really vicious I can't get near her. I say after a pause, so haven't you taken the eggs?. She says no then after I dont say anything she's like,so does that mean your gonna have baby chickens? Me >
th.gif
WTH she's been a farmer for thirty years. So now I'm really annoyed. I didn't want any more chickens at the moment, I was waiting then getting a particular breed I've been wanting for ages. She's going to be sitting on A LOT of eggs and theyre all going to be a due every day for a week. I REALLY REALLY didnt want any chicks from this coop as I hatched some eggs out awhile ago and most of the chicks had minor deformities. Who the he!! Does this person think she is deciding when and what chickens I'm going to have and the bit im annoyed at the most..... HOW IS THIS WOMAN SCARED OF A 6 INCH HIGH CHICKEN. I don't care how vicious it is, something that small is not something to be afraid of.
So now I'll have to somehow find room for 15+ chickens that are useless.

Last edited:
Huh, at some point in her life her Common Sense must have been surgically removed.

I know some may be against it since it is essentially a 'chick abortion', but I'd pull them and toss them. You don't want them, and unless you can sell the chicks, they'll just be an added burden.

I agree. it might be easier to get rid of the eggs now than the chicks later, especially if you have experienced deformities.

You'll see plenty of posts on this forum of people that are afraid of a broody. I've had some that can draw blood. But you need to do what you need to do. Leather gloves and long sleeves can help some people get over it.

Sorry, but with my experiences over the years finding reliable, forget knowledgeable, sitters for my critters-horses, parrots and fowl of all kinds, the least of your worries should be a few chicks. Before you consider kicking this person from their caretaker duties, consider the fact that your animals are getting fed and looked after each day without any major issues. Unless you are blessed with multiple options, I'd suffer through some extra chicks to ensure my animals survive my absense(s).

um, guys. We have a problem.
Quote:
I'm one of those people
hide.gif

When I get back I'll candle all the eggs and keep the ones that are the most developed. And toss the rest. How does that sound?

I left my chickens for a week and she never once collected eggs. From 17 hens laying everyday. It was an odd thing for her not to get eggs, when she was IN the coop every day anyways. But... So I just got a bucket and collected dozens and dozens of eggs for garbage. There was a new broody sitting on over 2 dozen eggs. It was a mess. It was sad, but I never thought of a 'chicken abortion'. Seriously.

(You do realize that fertilized eggs are chicken fetuses...?!?)

Give the chicks to her as a present for taking such good care of your flock while you are away. Refuse to take them back, tell her they are a gift and you wouldn't want to take back a loving gift.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom