Arrived in a storm

Chericolette

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
Hi ...call me Cheri. I live in Queensland Australia and just got my first two HENS on Friday....yippie. I have slowly made the move from caged eggs to free range eggs last 10 yrs and have always wanted my own layers. And now I have them.
I bought a flat-pack coop on the internet and it was easy to put together and at first I thought it much too small for any chicken but as I was thinking of getting 2 or 3 and letting them out during the day I went ahead. (I will leave them in a few days to get use to me).

They arrived just as cyclone Ita hit up the coast. We had heavy rain but not much wind and I covered their roof, just to make sure they stayed dry. I got one egg next morning and another just as it was getting dark, that night. I thought that was a good sign they were OK and they were quiet chatty with each other. Then, nothing the next day.
I was not so sure now. Thinking, maybe they already had those eggs forming before I got them. How long is that process?
Anyway..I needed have worried because third day....there was two. Today is sunny and we shall see what happens.

I found my way to this forum when searching for what people name their chickens, and decided to join.
My friends already think Im mad, the way Im going on over my girls and I thought you guys would understand :)

Welcome to BYC! I would keep the girls confined to coop and run for at least a week to get them used to where they should eat and sleep. Then you can let them out and they will return at dusk and you won't have to catch them to put them back in the coop. Good luck to you! Oh if you haven't already check out the Learning Center, tons of great info there :) https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Thanks Elizabeth....I was tempted to let them out this morning as they came out of the nest and down the ladder, when I arrived with their breakfast. But I will wait a bit longer.

I will check that link now :)

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, Liz is correct in that if you lock them in for a few days, they will get used to their new digs and always return and seek comfort in the coop. It takes an egg about 25 to 27 hours from the time the yolk starts down the tube, til it gets the shell put on and laid. So your girls had those already in the uterus at the time you got them. They may stop laying for a couple weeks as they will need time to adjust to their new home. The stress of moving can stop the laying. So be easy with them, move slowly around then and give them extra lovin'!

Enjoy your new flock! Oh, and if you want to chat with others in Australia, and there are lots of Aussies here on BYC, here is the link....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/598568/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island

Welcome to our flock and enjoy yours as well!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like your girls had an exciting introduction to their new home, bet they were glad to find out today the weather isn't always a cyclone. Good luck with the eggs, hope they keep going for you. There are a number of fun threads on chicken names, here is a long one with a list https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/481698/list-over-1-000-names-chicken-names

Yes Kelsie...Im sure they do think that.
I have named one....Elle Macpher-hen lol Still deciding on the others name.

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom