Arthritis?

Eddie12109

🌼🐓🐓⚽️
Nov 14, 2020
hi everyone,
I have a 8 year old hen who could have arthritis.
last year in March she had a heat stroke and fly strike within two days of each other and has had breathing problems and trouble walking ever since.
She has her own cage built which has a sharing wall with four other chickens. She still lays eggs as well
I have tried everything for her breathing... she has been nebulized with oxine, gotten tyl-doxy and baytril. Nothing has worked and even when it isn’t that hot out she pants.
what I am concerned about is her arthritis. She still walks but for most of the day she sits. She doesn’t walk correctly either... she will usually use her wings to flap and get up and she hobbles when she walks. She absolutely loves people and will prefer people over other chickens all day so I will spend alot of time with her and she doesn’t seem to be in pain(I have been giving her pain relief, mentioned below, and of course I have no idea what she is actually feeling)The reason I think it is arthritis is because her hocks (I think that’s what it is) are inflamed and when I hold her thigh and lightly try to move her leg, it isn’t easy to do. When I rub her inflamed hocks, there are some pointy hard things sticking out but I really doubt both legs are broken or anything for that amount of time (more than a year)
I have been currently giving her pain relief from morning bird but I want to try other things. I know that there are two things people recommend that one starts with a m and other with a c but I have no idea what those are.. if they are like aspirin or the dosage or if it’s meant for chickens. But I have been doing research into morninga, there is an article on here about that.
I am just wondering if anyone has any advice or help!!
@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @azygous

Attachments

• EF7DD484-F071-438F-87E9-A14AA18C8F7F.jpeg
    EF7DD484-F071-438F-87E9-A14AA18C8F7F.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 20
  • C7473DC2-283A-40D1-AE0C-D8CF8FF6C8D5.jpeg
    C7473DC2-283A-40D1-AE0C-D8CF8FF6C8D5.jpeg
    370.9 KB · Views: 9
Also her toes have been curled since March last year. She used to step on them and wouldn’t even notice. They are normal color, I live in Florida as well so not frostbite. I have made shoes for her but that didn’t last long at all.

Thanks for your response!
do you think that the heat stroke is responsible for the arthritis and breathing problems? And also do you think that bird booties will help her curled toes?
also @azygous i know you have older hens than 8, have you ever dealt with this?
And final question: I know there are different types of arthritis... can you tell by the pictures? I think there is a bacterial one and three others

No, I haven't dealt with arthritis that I am aware of. Well, except my own rampant arthritis. There's the kind of arthritis that comes of calcification in joints from wear and tear, and the viral kind. I'm afraid there is no easy way to diagnose which one she has, but it's pretty obvious from those swollen hocks she has some form of it. No cure for any of it. Mine, either.

Curly toes can be caused by a riboflavin deficiency. You can try treating her with B-complex. I like the B-100 since it has the highest dose of riboflavin as well as the other Bs that may also help. But this treatment has a greater chance of working in much younger chickens. It's worth a try, though.

More reading. http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/curly-toed-paralysis

Alright so currently I give rooster booster B12 once every three days and rooster booster poultry cell the day after I give B12. Do one of those have it in it?​

You need B-complex to get riboflavin (B-2). B-12 is on of the B vitamins. It's also in the complex. Or you can buy just the B-2.

Back
Top Bottom