artificial light for coturnix

fitzy

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
manhattan, ks
Does anyone here use artificial light for their quail? I recently (week ago) added two lights to each of my cages for a (very little) bit of warmth, but mostly to keep the eggs coming all winter long. This works very well with my chickens, but my quail got all confused for a day or two afterward. My browns are back to normal but the a&ms aren't sure if they're coming or going....2 1/2 doz one day and 1 doz the next.

Hi,

Yes, I use artificial lights in my breeding shed. It's so I can continue with the colours I'm working on, they recieive an 18 hour day light for maximim fertility and egg production.

At the moment lights go on at 4am-7am then again at 7pm-10pm, with natural day light in between.
Most hens lay eggs every day giving me enough fertile eggs to continue the breeding program I am on.

For continous eggs throughout winter you must supply light they need a minimum of at least 14-15 hours per day.

Ironsun

We use lights on ours. Laying was slowing a bit last week, so we put the lights up, and we're already seeing an increase in eggs. Mainly, I had one pen in the darkest area that had really dropped off, but they have picked right up now, and had a pen of new breeders that started laying today. Don't know if the lights had anything to do with the new breeders, but at least they're laying now.

Back
Top Bottom