Artificial lighting for Fall-Winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epeloquin, Oct 21, 2011.

1. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I am struggling with what to do. I have a small flouro light set up in my coop and I had begun using it to keep my girls laying through the Fall and winter. They just started laying over the last six week. My first right at twenty weeks and the fifth started yesterday. One to go.

Part of me wants to use the light to keep them laying (in case they slowed or stopped) but another part of me thinks that if their bodies stop laying I should leave it alone and let Creation run its course.

Hmmmmmm.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

With new layers, depending on the breed they may lay throughout their first winter without supplemental light.
    But if you do make the decision to light, it is OK. Won't hurt the birds.

Imp- Congrats on the eggs

3. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I was going to do the lighting to, but it's dark here real early now and late late rising and my girls are laying every day! I have one girl who I believe has never laid, but we love her so no biggie. We have 5 total total girls and we get 4 eggs every day! So no lighting will be be using. Im just going to let them go nTural, if they lay great if not fine to. More eggs in the spring and summer and longer laying for them as they get older. We will be adding a new coop in the spring and 5 more girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by