Artificial lighting for poultry

416bigbore

Ruffus and Big Boy
Jun 11, 2020
NC
I was curious if anyone uses artificial lighting for their poultry during the shorter winter daylight hours to keep their egg production numbers up ?

If so, how do you go about doing it, lighting on a timer? Is the colder temps a factor also? I am just curious. :)

Artificial lighting in poultry flocks, specifically in flocks with birds that are bred for egg production, does artificially increase their egg production, but sometimes it simultaneously may increase the likely hood of individual birds developing reproductive disorders such as Egg yolk peritonitis, ovarian cancer, ascites, among others. I personally think it's best the birds have time during the winter to take a break for egg production.

I have noticed within our small young flock just starting to lay eggs for their first time. Our four Isa Brown hens are really consistent with 4 eggs a days stating between 7:00am and finishing up no later then 10:30am.

Out of our eight Duck hens, our two smaller Mallards hens are usually good for two eggs each morning between the same time as the chickens.

A few of our bigger Pekin/Rouen mixed hens have started to lay larger white eggs, about three now each morning.

It's not that we count on any of them for their eggs, I just didn't know if artificial light played that big of part in how consistently they keep laying each morning with shorter daylight hours?

If a seasonal break in egg production is a good thing for them, I am all for it. :)

So if a Hen can make and lay one egg every 24-26 hours, how will she slow down in production. One egg every two days or will she quit laying all together for the winter months?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom