Arucana, Americauna, EE

I think that part of the trouble here is that many feed stores are bringing in hatchery chicks and labeling the chicks as all three names. That is what I encountered in March. I knew that the birds were EE's, but when I tried to ask the attendant about that, she said that they were required to label them this way from the hatchery. Required by whom? I don't know, but it sure gets incorrect information out there, and then people buy one thing thinking they are getting another.
I have two EE hens who lay a beautiful seafoam green/blue egg, and a very slightly olive-ish green egg. They are at the lower end of the pecking order, but I love them so much that I bought two more, and was gifted with another that had a slight cross beak. They are all very different looking, and all are beautiful. Hopefully I get a blue, a pink and maybe even a white egg out of these three. If not, I'll just take what I get, because I like their mild temperament.

Keep in mind that most feed store employees don't know squat about chickens. So if the box said Americauna that's what they write on the bin. Now that I think about it......what hatchery's sell EEs? I mean....in their catalog it says EE.

Dora'smom :

If not, I'll just take what I get, because I like their mild temperament.

I like that too, and I like the soft twittering chirps from my little EE when she's behind my back, talking to me. It's such a nice change from the loud screech of my big birds.​

https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/selectproduct.aspx?qty=1&ID=AMERS&Product=1187
I
dont' know if this is correct but this is Ideal's definition of their product. They don't claim to give just blue or green eggs but eggs in many colors (which I think that breeder should have told you).
P.S. My feed store thought I was crazy when I asked them if they were getting in any "Easter Eggers or Americaunas"... They really aren't a good source for information!

Last edited:
It can be confusing. All three "breeds" came from the same place. EE's can be a mix of something, and not.

The lady I got the chickens from buys them as day old chicks from the hatchery, and then sells them when they are ready to go into the coop. She sells them as what the hatchery told her they were. I think the hatchery needs to be more clear about what they are exactly selling. For us, it was a good idea because we didn't have to do the brooder gig, which seems really complicated, and we are pretty sure by the time we picked them up at 17 weeks that they were hens. We are delighted with our other chickens...they are pretty much true to their descriptions for temperment. I didn't know that there was so much confusion with the EE's. And, that they are mutts. So, we could get anything.

Here is something on the Araucana from Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucana

Also, to make it more confusing, you CAN have something bred to be an Araucana and have a pinkish, or brown egg. The word "mutt" is a little misleading with chickens. ALL chickens are mixed in a way. Lines are usually not recorded like they are with horses or dogs with a registry. Sometimes genes just pop up. For instance, you can have an Ameraucana WITHOUT a beard . It happens. Breeders would just cull those birds out. They also cull out certain colors.

A rule of thumb is... if it looks like an Ameraucana, lays a blue egg, then it is one. I have several that meet the guidelines-others that do not.

In defense of EE's, I have 10 EE hens in my flock - from McMurray - and they are lovely, healthy, reasonably friendly birds (some more than others), WELL able to defend themselves from the other hens, and very reliable layers of beautiful, large, clear blue to olive eggs, though one of them does lay a pink/cream egg. They are all colors, from wheaten to a gorgeous red-bay, and good foragers, and they are relatively quiet. I love them, wouldn't want to be without them.

I have one EE girl, my first experience with the breed, and she is wonderful. She get's along wonderfully with my Barred Rock pullet, both are 10 weeks old today. She is not flighty, at least no more then the Barred Rock, and she doesn't get pecked on at all by the Barred Rock.

The dumb thing..? I am not so sure on that. Munk, my EE, tends to misjudge perches and she jumps/flies really high up, but not very much distance, and ends up crashing into whatever she was trying to land on. Luckily she hasn't gotten hurt, but it is rather odd to watch. I think she doesn't have any depth perception... lol! But I love her nonetheless.

I will be getting a few more EE's, and hopefully will have good luck with them as well. Mine came from the feed store, and before that, Belt Hatchery. I caught on early to the EE/Ameraucana mix up, but I would definately LOVE to have at least one true Ameraucana at some point
big_smile.png
Maybe next spring!

The one thing I absolutely love about my EE is the green legs. The kids get a crack up at that and call her a little martian. I am hoping for green or blue eggs, but whatever color is fine by me. I also love the variaty the breed gives in looks, and those cheeks are awesome
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom