As a youngster, my family had chickens and ducks but that was a long time ago....

JenniferHS

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
Hello everyone,
As a youngster, my family had chickens and ducks in Vietnam but that was a long time ago. I would like my 7 year old son to have the experience of growing up with these wonderful birds. Not to mention, we love eggs. We eat mostly organic and can sure taste the difference between fresh organic eggs as compared to regular store brought eggs. I am currently trying to learn as much as i can about raising chicken in the suburb on 1/3 acre. Two egg layer is probably sufficient. I would love to get as much info as i can about building vs buying a coop. Also, How old show the chicken be if we would like them to bond with us and stay around the property if they get out? I'd like to be able to pet our chicken. I would have loved to hatch our own but we don't have indoor space to keep them through the winter. Is there a best time of year to get the chickens? We also have a 1 1/2 year old Portuguese Water Dog that I worry would be a threat to the chickens. I would appreciate your insights or point me to a thread that answers the questions i have.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to learning so much from you guys.

Jennifer
Long Island, NY

welcome-byc.gif
Usually a young chick will bond with a person if it doesn't have any other chickens around. That's how my friend does it. When you have two or more they prefer their feathered friends. Even when they bond they are still chickens and I don't think they will stay close to home. Dogs can be a problem because they regard chicks as squeaky toys - they want to play and end up killing them.

Please check out the Learning center forum.

Greetings from Kansas, JenniferHS, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! I agree with drumstick - the Learning Center is a great place to research! Regarding building vs buying your coop...for only two birds you can purchase a nice coop. But if you have some building savvy you might be able to put the personal touches to one and DIY! Check out the Coops section for styles & ideas on small coops! Good luck and have fun!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

There are definately breeds that are friendlier in general, although individuals vary considerably. My Speckled Sussex have always been my friendliest birds. While chickens will stay in the vicinity of the coop and return there to lay their eggs, unless confined they will tend to wander. A well-built run would help keep them safe, and you could let them out to wander when someone is there to supervise them.

Thank you. My husband is good at building things....but we'll see, maybe it is more effective to buy one.

Back
Top Bottom