As only chickens can.... (a true story)

Sorry for this highjack also..
Have you ever noticed that a lot o' times you'll see a car hit raccoon on the road with it's little ones also hit at it's side? The youngsters will NOT leave their mom in this circumstance.Sadly, there are many *^%$!! that will porpously hit the young ones at this time.
I was blessed twice in my life by being the first one on the scene and able to scarf up the youngsters and care for them long enough to turn em back to the wild safely.

Quote:
Hi Ladyhawk, Your way of life truely intrigues me. I am speaking mainly of your type of family environment. I have often thot about bringing my sons and thier children up the very same way and starting a tradition of family as you lived. There is sooo much knowledge and wisdom lost in the way we "Americans" do our families.
God has blessed you and if Janet and i ever find ourselves in Cave Junction Oregon we would both truely love to sit and break bread with you and your family.
Life and people are good and have so so much to offer us all.
Jim

Quote:
I got goosebumps too!
smile.png
That was a sweet story, ChicknGurl. Thank you for sharing it.

When I was listening to her tell me the story, I also got goosebumps! I was amazed and in awe. I had never heard a story like that involving chickens, always dogs or cats. I thought I should share it, so others would know.
smile.png

Quote:
As far as I know, they do still have them. I believe if she ever didn't want to care for them any longer, that the older son who took the others would take them as well. I myself had told her if they needed to re-home them that I would take them. So, she has two options but I think due to sentimental value that those chickens will be well taken care of.

I really think our chickens know whats going on. Just the other day I was having a bad morning. I was cranky, and to make thing better my son pee'ed in his pants when we were down at the barn. Being that we were already late, my mood was even more sour as we walked back up to the house to change. Just as we rounded the corner to the house, Miss Priss, who had been missing for 2 days flew right out in front of us, and did the funniest sprint down to the barn.

She made me laugh so hard, and put me into such a good mood for the rest of the day. Not only was she alive, she had to make sure we knew it.

Shannon

My grandfather was an avid hunter and only went goose hunting once. When he shot the one goose the other came down and wouldn't let him near the body of it's fallen mate. Of course they mate for life, so he ended up shooting the mate to put it out of it's misery and swore he would never goose hunt again. It's also why I don;t believe in hunting anything that mates for life.... it is just too heart-breaking to think about.

I think that chickens do know when their coop mate dies.
Back on the 6th of March when my old roo passed sitting beside him was his one sister and she looked panicked because he was still breathing but would not open his eyes. We brought him in and tried to warm him up and talked to him he seemed to respond to us but we had to leave for work and school so we put him in a box with water and in a warm spot - however it didn't work, and he passed. When I went to the coop in the evening the two sisters looked up at me thinking they would see their brother and I did not have him, you could just see their little hearts sink and I felt so bad.

Quote:
Awwww
hit.gif
hugs.gif

I'm not usually one to be emotional but that pulled the old heartstrings.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom