AS SOON as my 15 chicks arrive in the mail tomorow, what do I do?

first check to see if they all made it. If they have bring them home and put them in the brooder at 95F every week drop it 5 degrees. grower feed (medicated or non) and water with paper towels on the bottom for bedding/traction

Last edited:
Do you have a specific question or did you just order chicks?

Do you have a brooder and feeders set up with a heat lamp?

Give us more information so we can help you.

Well I have hatched and brooderd chicks and ducks before, so I think I know how to set up a brooder. What temperature should it be again? Also, should I leave them quiet in the box for a while after they arive so they can calm down, or should I immediatly move them to the brooder. And when, about, can I bring them outside?

the heat on the floor should be 95F. I would let them get room temp and maybe put them in the brooder though they could be very hungry and thirsty

Last edited:
Get them in the brooder and warm immediately. Shipping is hard on the chicks so the sooner they get food water and heat the better off they will be. 95F should be the starting temp.

You should have your temp at 95 degrees before you go to pick them up. Check them out at the post office to check for causalities. Once home get them immediately in the brooder, they will calm down once they warm up. I immediately once in the brooder dunk their little beaks in water and later in food. Good luck!

Make sure you give each chickie a kiss when you take it out of the
box. They need lots of love.
smile.png

Sounds like you already have a good grasp on this. 95 for the first
week is good then drop by 5 degrees each week. Watch close
to make sure they are all eating and drinking. Have some yogurt
standing by to hand feed any runts and a good vitamin in the
water always helps too.

I like to grind up plain oatmeal and handfeed my chicks right away.
Not too much, just enough to get them used to eating from your
hand. Then, every time you put your hand in the brooder they
will attack it.

An remember, plenty of kisses. They like to be sung to also.
wink.png

Last edited:
It seems like most people open the box at the Post Office to check their chicks? I didn't with mine. I wanted to make sure they were home and ready to be fed and watered before I opened it and got their hopes up. Mine were in the mail for 3 days so I knew they were more than ready to get out and I just didn't have to heart to open the box then leave them in it for the drive home.

I, too, second PC's "kiss each chickie".
smile.png
The day they arrive and every day thereafter.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom