ASAP - Help Diagnosing Disease - turkey poults dying quickly.

DavKarm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
My famous last words: We raise chickens, how hard can turkeys be?

We received our very first batch of turkey poults from a local breeder - and within 48 hours we had ONE survivor.

We thought we did something wrong (i.e. - didn't dip their beaks and didn't put marbles in the water or food)....

So - after a week, we went to our local feed store and purchased 10 little Bourban's....(I had completely bleached the food container and the waterer - but only sifted through the sand, removing a little bit of the debris)

and now 48 hours later they are starting to die too. HELP!!! We made sure they were drinking AND eating - all 10 were - running around and so happy. But now they aren't.

I suspected coccidiosis - but if they were to have become infected would they die within 48 hours??? I am assuming these new poults contracted the disease from the survivor!

What other virulent disease is out there to cause this? Symptoms - lethargy, staggering around, and then when they finally start to go, it looks like they are gasping for air.

We usually keep a baby chick or two with our turkeys to be sure that they are regularly eating and drinking water. Many times they do not do this without assistance at an early age. This would be my best suggestion for working with turkeys. Also what are you feeding them and what temp is your brooder and have you calibrated that thermometer to make sure it is accurate!

The temp is fine - and the older poult was in there - I watched and saw they were all eating and drinking.

The poults are fine - and then they start chirping and then get lethargic, but keep chirping. I'm wondering if it is Pollorum considering how quickly they seem to contract it and die.

Sorry for your losses... I've had some really bad luck with poults, too. Don't know where you live, but many States offer free or small fee necropsies, maybe you could have a necropsy done.

I just spoke to the State Vet and he recommended an autopsy. If they have something infectious then it needs to be identified - otherwise, maybe they are stressed. I just have trouble believing stress is killing them. So - my local vet will be doing an autopsy this afternoon.

I just spoke to the State Vet and he recommended an autopsy.   If they have something infectious then it needs to be identified - otherwise, maybe they are stressed.   I just have trouble believing stress is killing them.      So - my local vet will be doing an autopsy this afternoon.

This is good news. When I get my NPIP re-certification, the state vet said that so many people don't do necropsies on their animals to find out what happened. A lot of information is found in the results which in turn tells the owner what the problem is and can save lives of the other animals.

Glad that you're having the necropsy done. Please keep us posted.

Sorry for what has happened.

I agree with the necropsy. I once had a hen keel over and die. I automatically assumed their was a great disease about to spread throughout my flock. I autopsied her and rest assured, I found 10 .22 shells in her crop. Yup.

Back
Top Bottom