Ascites - a question of timing

Thank you again for being so thoughtful.

The vet said more or less the same thing. He said, "If I'd have picked her up, wheat then? She'd have done the same. You probably wouldn't have managed to get her here in the first place and she may have died in the car. She was an ill bird and we were only staving off the inevitable. She isn't suffering any more and her last day would have been a nice one up to the end."

That helped. Having said that, it is about 5 days now and it's still pretty raw. I know from reading BYC that may of us have a special one - it is different to the others and kind of forms a trusting relationship with you. That was her. She looked you in the eye, came up to you and seemed happy when made a fuss of. In fact, the vet said to me "You probably provided some comfort to her as she died, as she was with the one she trusted." Whatever, it doesn't bring her back and I will miss her terribly.

Whilst she was ill, I was trying to build a new run and coop. Our little Arucuana was in isolation due to continual beating up by the others, and despite her growing back her feathers and healing, we would try to reintegrate and it would be carnage. So we have kept her in a small chicken cage (more like a rabbit cage in my view) and I am building this new much bigger one. We know she shouldn't be on her own, so we are rescuing 2 battery hens this weekend. It has been organised for about a month. So we will have something to divert our attention fromHoney's death for a while and we feel we are doing something good for these two hens whose life must have been awful until now - plus we saved their lives!

Your vet was right, she was in bad shape, but she did have you to comfort her during her last days.

I know all this doesn't make it easier. I do think we all have a favorite or 2.
I had a special girl that I put down a couple of months ago, she was also in bad shape and I couldn't let her linger. Even though it was hard, it was the right thing to do.

What a wonderful thing to do! A lot of people have ex-bats, hopefully the Arucauna will have a couple of buddies she can hang out with.
I hope all goes well for you.

I'm so sorry you lost your girl, and for bringing your attention back to this. I hope your rescue went well.

I've been reading up on ascites, as I think one of my rescues has developed it. Vet at first thought it was bruising from being manhandled so much due to a reproductive issue, but I'm not convinced. I think the reproductive issue has resulted in water belly. In case it is, and I find her looking very ill at a time I can't get to a vet I want to have some equipment for draining her on hand. Would you mind pointing me at where you got the needles from? I'm in the UK, and all I can seem to find are blunt ones, or poorly made ones with bad reviews. I want to make sure I have the right thing... and I don't think my vet would give me any if I asked, as they wouldn't even let me do intramuscular injections. I had to go back every other day for a week... eugh. I've done SQ injections in my rabbits, so pretty sure I can handle it, but hey ho.

I'm so sorry you lost your girl, and for bringing your attention back to this. I hope your rescue went well.

I've been reading up on ascites, as I think one of my rescues has developed it. Vet at first thought it was bruising from being manhandled so much due to a reproductive issue, but I'm not convinced. I think the reproductive issue has resulted in water belly. In case it is, and I find her looking very ill at a time I can't get to a vet I want to have some equipment for draining her on hand. Would you mind pointing me at where you got the needles from? I'm in the UK, and all I can seem to find are blunt ones, or poorly made ones with bad reviews. I want to make sure I have the right thing... and I don't think my vet would give me any if I asked, as they wouldn't even let me do intramuscular injections. I had to go back every other day for a week... eugh. I've done SQ injections in my rabbits, so pretty sure I can handle it, but hey ho.
I'm sorry to hear about your hen.

Do you have photos of her you would like to share?
I don't know where you can get supplies like needles in the UK. Hopefully @rebrascora will be on today and be able to direct you.
You may be able to order needles and syringes online through a vet supply, ebay or Amazon.

When draining a bird, you want to do it slowly to avoid to avoid shock.

HI there

Thanks for kind words. Still missing her terribly. The new rescue hens are great though. Incredibly friendly - one comes onto your lap for a cuddle! One of the best things I've done is rescue some hens. They would have had a rough life in the enriched cages, so seeing them dust bath, scratch and enjoy themselves is fab.

In answer to your question, we go our things from the vet. I got an 18 gauge needle and a large (50ml I think).

Not sure where you can get them elsewhere. I did pick up some surgical spirit from the local chemist.

If you do manage to get supplies, the best bit of advice I can give is: have someone to help you. Put the syringe in low and to the right (see the video linked above - it's the one I watched and is excellent) and hold the needle in place so it doesn't go too far in, nor move about. Then disconnect the syringe each time it is full. That's where the other person helps.

For what it is worth, I would do it all again. I am very sad that she vomited and choked but her last day was a pain free one and she seemed quite happy. But, heck, I still miss her.

Good luck

A 16 gauge needle is probably better if you can get one and you want the shortest you can get. I'm not sure where you have looked or what you have available as regards farm stores but Mole Valley do needles and syringes. This page has the needles and I would go for 17 gauge 1/2" option since they don't have a 1/2 inch 16g option.
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/agriject-hypodermic-needles-luer-pack-of-12.
I would not leave it too long to drain her. If she is having respiratory problems now, it is time in my opinion.

A 16 gauge needle is probably better if you can get one and you want the shortest you can get. I'm not sure where you have looked or what you have available as regards farm stores but Mole Valley do needles and syringes. This page has the needles and I would go for 17 gauge 1/2" option since they don't have a 1/2 inch 16g option.
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/agriject-hypodermic-needles-luer-pack-of-12.
I would not leave it too long to drain her. If she is having respiratory problems now, it is time in my opinion.

We don't really have farm stores in the UK, and I don't drive so getting to one of the few we have is... an adventure. I should be able to find something online. I just don't want to get the wrong thing, or something shoddy (Amazon items had some bad reviews). So the sizing info is really, really helpful. Thanks.

She's not in any distress at all at the moment. Not even got much of a waddle. In fact if I wasn't already keeping an eye on her, I wouldn't have noticed the swelling. It very well might be just bruising and I'm being paranoid. But I like to be prepared... especially with the holidays coming up.

@MandS glad to hear your new girls are doing well. Thanks for the advice, and @Wyorp Rock I've watched the video. Only reason I even knew they could be drained. Handy to have the link right there though.

@rebrascora oh, hah. I looked at the url and just assumed it was US due to the .com Neat. I'll have a look.

[EDIT]

This site is amazing. They even have bunny treats (not that I ever waste money on bunny treats; a cabbage does them just fine!). And Virkon. And timber! And I'm sorry but cargo shorts for £4? I know they're for men, but I wear men's trouse all the time.

How has this site never come up in my searches?!?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom