Ascites...euthanise

chocluver

Songster
8 Years
Nov 7, 2015
Hello,
I returned from a few days a way to a hen waddling and after checking I am pretty sure she has ascites / water belly. Swollen and squishy, comb very dark. Eating but fussy, running when treats come. No feathers on her belly but she has been like that for over a year. She is 2.5 years old, stopped laying late summer but that can be normal. I immediately called the vet which has a new owner and they informed me they can't help with chickens anymore to which I just cried - because if I have a sick bird I used them for treatment and for euthanising. We don't have another vet option.

I don't like the idea of her suffering continually so my first question is, can they last very long with this condition?
I don't want to drain it, from what I have read, it just prolongs the inevitable.
My second is, if I have to end her life, what should I do? I have never done it before 😭

Thank you for any help

She probably won't live long if you won't drain off the fluid because the pressure from the fluid buildup on her organs will kill her. Ascites can be caused by a number of internal issues and how long she can live with the condition depends on what is causing it. A dark comb sounds like it might be a heart issue, though she could also just be having trouble breathing due to the fluid. I had a hen who started laying internally around 4 yrs old. I really didn't want to drain her myself initially because I am not a vet for a reason, but I also didn't want to put her down because she seemed fine otherwise. Long story short, I did start draining her as nerve-racking as I found it be. I had to drain her a few times every summer to keep the fluid down, but she'd be fine all winter, and lived another two years like that.

Don't know what's best for you or the hen, but my general view is that the inevitable is death, for everyone, yet mostly we choose to keep on living until we can't.

She probably won't live long if you won't drain off the fluid because the pressure from the fluid buildup on her organs will kill her. Ascites can be caused by a number of internal issues and how long she can live with the condition depends on what is causing it. A dark comb sounds like it might be a heart issue, though she could also just be having trouble breathing due to the fluid. I had a hen who started laying internally around 4 yrs old. I really didn't want to drain her myself initially because I am not a vet for a reason, but I also didn't want to put her down because she seemed fine otherwise. Long story short, I did start draining her as nerve-racking as I found it be. I had to drain her a few times every summer to keep the fluid down, but she'd be fine all winter, and lived another two years like that.

Don't know what's best for you or the hen, but my general view is that the inevitable is death, for everyone, yet mostly we choose to keep on living until we can't.
I have a suspicion that one of my hens is suffering from this as well. I’m terrified to try and drain her. How do I know where and what if it’s not ascites? Please help

I have a suspicion that one of my hens is suffering from this as well. I’m terrified to try and drain her. How do I know where and what if it’s not ascites? Please help
How old is your hen? When was her last egg? Is her abdomen bloated? The abdomen is located underneath the vent in between the legs.

Hello,
I returned from a few days a way to a hen waddling and after checking I am pretty sure she has ascites / water belly. Swollen and squishy, comb very dark. Eating but fussy, running when treats come. No feathers on her belly but she has been like that for over a year. She is 2.5 years old, stopped laying late summer but that can be normal. I immediately called the vet which has a new owner and they informed me they can't help with chickens anymore to which I just cried - because if I have a sick bird I used them for treatment and for euthanising. We don't have another vet option.

I don't like the idea of her suffering continually so my first question is, can they last very long with this condition?
I don't want to drain it, from what I have read, it just prolongs the inevitable.
My second is, if I have to end her life, what should I do? I have never done it before 😭

Thank you for any help
Sorry you are having to deal with this. @MysteryChicken gave you a very good answer and what is, in my experience, the best possible suggestion. We've had to put a few chickens down over the years and we don't enjoy it, having tried a few different methods. Last time, we tried the broomstick method and hands down it was quickest, easiest and least traumatizing. Use the Search function at the top of the page to find it and try to find a video of it. Good luck!

How old is your hen? When was her last egg? Is her abdomen bloated? The abdomen is located underneath the vent in between the legs.
She’s two years old and I have no idea when’s the last time she laid . I did check to see if she’s egg bound but no. She’s standing in a corner with her stomach really heavy. I’ve given her tums and nutridrench in her waterer. Where do I drain her

She’s two years old and I have no idea when’s the last time she laid . I did check to see if she’s egg bound but no. She’s standing in a corner with her stomach really heavy. I’ve given her tums and nutridrench in her waterer. Where do I drain her
To drain her you want to use an 18gauge needle put into the abdomen.

What if I don’t hit the right spot . I know I may sound ridiculous but I’m so concerned that I will do more damage. I have an 18 gauge I’m going to go buy a bigger syringe and Eesh I hope she will somehow stay still. Thank you
There is a chance of infection when draining.
Lemme tag the experts. @azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

Back
Top Bottom