asexual roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silkie-mom, Dec 18, 2008.

1. silkie-mom

silkie-mom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    South central Virginia
    I have 11 silkies that are about 6 months old.

Of those, 5 are roosters.

Only 2 of the roos have seemed to become "real" roos and act studly.

The other 3 seem to not have developed the walnuts on their heads, and don't really act like roos. They are just sweet and bother nobody.

Is this common?
    I am actually thrilled, because I was worried about having probs with too many roos in the flock, and don't want to part with any of them.

When I ordered them as day old chicks, I ended up with too many roos despite paying extra to have them sexed and more girls sent.
    It just came out this way.....OOPS!!

I love them all and parting with any of them will never happen.
    They will all die of old age.

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Silkies are one of the hardest breeds to sex. If you show pics, we may be able to tell if your roosters are actually hens.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I have noticed this with my silkie flock also, I have a bunch of rooster to about 4-5 hens (like you said..... opps)

My first boy didnt crow till he was about 7 months ( I assume b/c of the older silkie head rooster ) Then a month or so later his brother learned to crow, and now I'm up to about 5 crowers !! It took about 4 months for them all to crow/act roosterly. I think it all has to do with the rooster pecking oreder.

4. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    I have 2 Silkie roos that both just turned 5 months old. One of the 2 just started crowing this past wkend and the second one still hasn't crowed. The first one to crow just started to act like a roo and his bro hasn't started to act like a roo yet though. They're definitely late bloomers compared to my other roos! Sweeties, but late bloomers for sure! [​IMG]

5. silkie-mom

silkie-mom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    South central Virginia
    Both my studly boys are crowing like crazy.....all hours of the day and night.

I hear them all night on the baby monitor. Sometimes I have to shut it off to get to sleep......but sometimes it actually helps me to sleep. Go figure.

I can tell them apart by their crows. They have their own sounds.

I took some pics and will try to post some of the questionable "boys" when I get them ready to upload. Not real computer saavy here.

The two big roos seem to be partners in crime....they get along fine. They help each other round up girls to ride around. However, one of them is a bit backwards, and tends to mount the girls head first. The girls don't seem to mind, and it makes for a great laugh.
    You really can't take anything seriously when you are in a chicken coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by