ashes for dusting?

hildymarie

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 13, 2009
da UP of Michigan
Our coop has about 6 inches of straw in it and today we found about 5 chickens dug into it and acting really silly. Our only thought is that they were trying to dust themselves and the snow outside wasnt going to work.
So...can we put wood ashes in their 'pit' or is that bad for them? I'm sure they need to dust in something and putting something outside isnt an otion. Maybe DE and ashes? Would ashes be bad for them if it got moist on them? Wouldnt it irritate their skin? Ashes is the only thing I've heard of using. Anybody got any ideas?

I have seen several posts on BYC that recommend to use wood ash as well as food-grade DE for dust bath use. I would not be afraid of it and this reminds me to empty my fireplace for just that purpose. I am restoring one that I had in the coop that was in a shallow 1 ft x 2 ft box. They need it now that it is so wet outside. I am doing one under the coop as well as another place they can hang out when it rains and do their dust bath thing. I have seen mine doing that in their litter recently in the afternoon when the sun comes in a certain window of the coop.
cool.png

Last edited:
I would be very interested in using Ash too. I have a ton of it. But I think it is very alkali.. I wonder if it is safe?

I have heard that the ash helps keep them lice/mite free... and..i have a fire pit outside and they always try to get in there to dust in the ashes..so they must know what is good for them?

I use ashes and even use the ones left over from BBQ grill, mixed in with some sand & DE in a deep wide tub with drain holes in the bottom. works like a charm they fight over that spot all summer long.

AL

I save the ash from my wood stove. Let it set in a metal bucket for a few days to make sure it is out and cold so I don't get a fire in the coop. After the ash is cool I put it in the covered run. The chickens really like it.

I used about 4-5 gal. pails full of ash from my dad's wood stove last year. They loved it and everyone survived.

Then, early this winter I helped my dad with his stove and I saw the junk he was burning in it... so I declined the offer this season.

I have a few books on chickens that I got this spring when entering the chicken world, and I remember one of them atleast says to use a mixture of ash, sand, and dirt to mix together for thier dust bathing needs. Which I had proceeded to do and everyone survived and loved it untill the rain started this fall, now everything is just a solid mess. The only dry soft spot for them is under the barn and patio. But I would have to agree on using ash that is only wood, nothing with plastic or such burnt. So good bathing to you.

yes wood ash is fine, mine dust in it and have all winter long ,also sprinkle some in the hogs feed to keep them wormed as well

Back
Top Bottom