Ashes to Chickens....

Porterfive

Songster
12 Years
Sep 12, 2007
Collinsville, MS
I found a website that said using ashes like you would sand for the chickens "bathing" would help with pest control....Any truth to this

Here's the statement "Wild and domesticated birds enjoy taking an ash bath to smother the parasites that dwell amongst their feathers. Thank the wild birds that provide pest control in your organic garden by placing a shallow basin of ashes near your birdfeeders. Replace the ashes frequently. If you keep chickens on your property, they can also benefit from a shallow crate of ashes to bathe in. Keep the ashes in a sheltered area, and change them if they get damp."

Here's the link to the website in case you want to read the rest of the article...If this is reputable, then it sould really good...esp since we burn alot.

J

My birds have dusted in ashes and survived. We burn wood all winter so I use the ashes for my garden area etc...

Julie
smile.png

YES - I grew up with wood stoves for heating and cooking.
Dad always dumped the ashes in piles on the edge of the property for the birds to dust bath in. I even rember seeing wild birds using the same area so it must be enjoyable.

Rember to put them in a spot where pets and kids won't track it into the house..

Also keep in mind the old timers burned natural trees.

Make sure they are cooled "wood" ashes from a wood burning stove......we always make dust bathing places with ours to help keep lice and buggies off the chickens....

Back
Top Bottom