Asian Lady Beetle nuisance?

yankeemtfarm

Songster
12 Years
Sep 13, 2007
Gettysburg,Pa
Just wondering if any body has a problem with the Asian Lady Beetle?

I moved a few things around our shop, and this is what i found in every corner, hundreds upon hundreds, even thousands.

P1010006-1.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010005.jpg

They are everywhere, in everything.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonia_axyridis

The chickens do not care for them
sad.png

BA

I've heard that they will find hiding places in buildings and wood, to hide from the cold of winter. Adam has some in his house and his grandparent's mountain house, not in nearly the same mass though.

I don't know if they do any damage or are a problem. I think your finding so many because they were hiding to keep warm. That's what I've been told anyway, this didn't come from a factual source just what Adam's parents and grandparents told me when I asked about them in the houses.

-Kim

We don't have the green ones, but twice a year the timber company drops the red ones from the sky by the millions. Lady bugs everywhere, on everything. I sure hope my future chickens like the red ones, cuz I was sure looking forward to getting a little revenge.

Whats the difference between those and lady bugs people buy in baggies at the store to release in their gardens for aphid control? I've only seen masses of those once during an odd summer.

The 7 spotted ladybug is becoming endangered because of the Asian variety. Our "good" ones don't hibernate en masse. The Asian variety bites (you read that right), and hibernates in the thousands, causing a huge nuisance when spring comes.

Their bites is very mild. I wouldn't worry about them, they really aren't that much of a nuisance, especially if you grow crops or a garden.

The chickens probably won't eat them because if they have a foul smell they probably have a foul taste.

We get a MUCH smaller invasion in the house, and we just ignore them. They flock to the windows and sunlight, some the cats kill and then they are vacumned up. Not a big deal at all.

-Kim

Quote:
silkiechicken i cannot find the exact quote on wikipedia, but there is a big difference ,we had ladybugs in the past but the Asian Lady Beetle has invaded our house, and all of our local mountain neighbors.
We have not noticed a real Ladybug in years
sad.png

Just Google "Asian Lady Beetle" you will see.

BA

Quote:
Good question? I did not know the lumber company dropped them from the sky (until above post).
I believe they have introduced a type of fly around here the will help combat the infestation.

BA

Do guineas eat Asian lady bugs? I know how much they looovve to snack on Japanese beetles which don't smell pretty.

I know a farmer who would catch japanese beetles in yellow traps (those bags) without any chemicals in it, then he would dump the whole bag into the watering trough so they wouldn't fly away, and the turkeys would run over and gobble them ALL up in a sec. ewwww.

Back
Top Bottom