Ask a chef

It is a kiwi egg

I love your guess...
hugs.gif

You know I had to go look up how big a Kiwi egg was...six times larger than other birds would lay...for its size. I knew Kiwis were little birds...poor bird!
hmm.png

No i guess it isn't!
lol.png

Tara do you believe thst I have lemon tree, and orange tree flowering?

Oh please smell those lemon and orange tree blossoms for those of us in what feels like perpetual winter (I do love snow...it has to warm up here in winter to snow!)...I am told there is nothing SWEETER than the smell of a lemon flower...can the same be said of the orange tree flower too??
hu.gif

http://boisdejasmin.com/2013/07/10-...som-water-perfume-beauty-cooking-recipes.html

Here is a list of what to do with orange blossom water...one of the ten items...ice cream...flavoured with orange blossom...oh my...always a reason to have ice cream...even in winter, we have ice cream!

You are a blessed person Benny...enjoy--breathe those scents in deeply...flowers so beautiful but quick to be gone! Lucky man indeed!
big_smile.png

Tara

It is a kiwi egg
I love your guess... :hugs You know I had to go look up how big a Kiwi egg was...six times larger than other birds would lay...for its size. I knew Kiwis were little birds...poor bird! :/
Enormous egg The kiwi’s egg is huge. In proportion to its body size, the female kiwi lays a bigger egg than almost any other bird. In fact, kiwi eggs are six-times as big as normal for a bird of its size. While an ostrich may lay the world’s largest bird’s egg, it is actually the smallest in proportion to the mother – just 2% of her body weight. By comparison, the kiwi egg takes up about 20% of the mother’s body. In humans, a baby at full term is 5% of its mother’s body weight. A female kiwi can lay up to 100 eggs in her lifetime. The advantages While laying such a large egg is painful, there is an advantage. Most bird eggs are 35-40% yolk but the kiwi’s egg is a 65% yolk. The nutritious yolk produces kiwi chicks that hatch fully feathered and independent, and is so enormous that it continues to sustain them for the first week of life. By that time, chicks can provide for themselves and kiwi parents seldom have to feed their offspring. Why such a big egg? It is still not clear why the kiwi produces such a large egg. Some researchers believe the kiwi has always been a small bird, and that its egg has grown. Others suggest the kiwi was once much larger and, while the bird shrank over time, its egg did not. It seems the latter explanation is more likely, because gradual evolutionary changes to an adult bird’s characteristics are more likely to be survived than changes to an egg or foetus. If the latter theory is true, the kiwi’s ancient ancestor would have probably been about the size of a cassowary, up to 1.5 metres tall.
You could have guessed Cassowary...dangerous and pretty too... :gig
No i guess it isn't! :lol: Tara do you believe thst I have lemon tree, and orange tree flowering?
Oh please smell those lemon and orange tree blossoms for those of us in what feels like perpetual winter (I do love snow...it has to warm up here in winter to snow!)...I am told there is nothing SWEETER than the smell of a lemon flower...can the same be said of the orange tree flower too?? :confused: http://boisdejasmin.com/2013/07/10-...som-water-perfume-beauty-cooking-recipes.html Here is a list of what to do with orange blossom water...one of the ten items...ice cream...flavoured with orange blossom...oh my...always a reason to have ice cream...even in winter, we have ice cream! You are a blessed person Benny...enjoy--breathe those scents in deeply...flowers so beautiful but quick to be gone! Lucky man indeed! :D Tara
Thank you very muc! :hugs It could not be cassowaary eggs, they aren't green! :lol:
The orange blossom is sweeter! And We use orange flowers water to fragrance my black coffee!

No i guess it isn't! :lol:

Tara do you believe thst I have lemon tree, and orange tree flowering?

I belive it Citrus is a winter fruit....  :love

Yes the FRUIT is at winter! The blossom is at the spring! Usually April! We have had A lot of citrus groves around us ( now they are buildings :hit) the air smell especially at April night was intoxicating!

OMG I just looked up how to make Orange Blossom Water..... Soooo easy

I am going to do this...

deb

And only twelve blossoms (from the recipe I found at least) to add to 1/2cup of H20.... NO citrus here but supposedly if you are really of the keen sort...you could hunt down an orange or lemon tree at a nursery?? The blossoms sure must have alot of essence in them if that is all it takes to extract the flavour!

Take clicks, eh Deb and share here if you are able!
hugs.gif

The best citrus for that is 6he bitter orange

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_orange

Here some pic from today

Absolutely gorgeous...so neat to see blossoms AND fruit at the same time on the same trees. Pretty does not even come close to how luxurious your backyard must feel & SMELL right now!
big_smile.png

Funny how you say the BITTER orange makes the best orange essence. What it may lack in sweet, it makes up for in other ways!
wink.png

First blood oranges this year from my tree .

Magnificent looking fruit!
droolin.gif

My father talks about Christmas as a child in Northern Europe. They always looked very much forward to their stockings...for each one of them (my Aunt and my Father) would get a single orange...nothing so special as your ones above Benny, but just what we all see as a common, everyday oranges.

Well not there...they peeled their oranges, carefully, ever so careful in saving the peels and they had the peels candied. I never had candied orange peel until my ballet teacher (a Russian ballerina) gave us some at Christmas time. We being kids, my sister and I, we ate some and made the sour puss face...not use to the flavour and very powerful.

We were polite and thanked her...trying hard not to show her our reactions. Asked my mother about the candied citrus and it was often used in sweet breads & bakings. I myself have made it as I use to make very heavily ladened fruit cakes and the candied peel was a nice addition to this Christmas baking.

I made these friut cakes for my son's wedding

We do have to appreciate that the world as it is, is so small in many ways. Getting oranges and bananas, not so special as it is likely you have it at the local stores within easy access.

This said, Benny, your blood oranges picked off your very own tree brings back a flood of memories that make having an orange all that more special. Did we tell you that you are blessed? Ha ha ha,...
lol.png

Now you have blessed us in sharing your joy. Thank you for that TREAT!
hugs.gif
Enjoy the eating of your oranges...for all of us, eh.

Kinda the same is done for meatloaf

On January 7th, I tried out doing some meatballs, not going to say spicy because they were not...flavourful tho!
tongue.png

Crackers (soup kind) and egg, to help bind the mixture

Absolutely hilarious...a melon baller works perfect to make meatballs the right size
for what I wanted them to be

So I did a quick search on the Net and found cooking instructs...
400F and done in ten minutes??
hu.gif

Not quite right...ten minutes times four times
I drained and turned the meaty balls four times at the ten minute mark
So it took 40 minutes at 400F in the oven to cook how I wanted them to be

I thought 400F was kinda a hot temperature and well, it was not and not burnt at all...but not done in ten minutes either...
tongue.png

While the pasta cooked in boiling water, I added some heavy cream to a can of cream of mushroom soup...to make a sauce for the meatballs, the meatballs were nice and crispy on the outside.

Dinner on the 7th of January

Turned out delish and I will make this again. Rick said the meat was so flavourful, he broke each into three pieces to mellow the flavour out with the spaghetti and creamy sauce.

Today, beef stew in the crock pot.

I stopped in town this morning and got fresh bread to dip...to dip in the beef stew I have cooking up now. Gravy will be good, soaking the bread...

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Edit to add photo of son's wedding cake

Last edited:
OMG I just looked up how to make Orange Blossom Water..... Soooo easy I am going to do this... deb
And only twelve blossoms (from the recipe I found at least) to add to 1/2cup of H20.... NO citrus here but supposedly if you are really of the keen sort...you could hunt down an orange or lemon tree at a nursery?? The blossoms sure must have alot of essence in them if that is all it takes to extract the flavour! Take clicks, eh Deb and share here if you are able! :hugs
The best citrus for that is 6he bitter orange https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_orange Here some pic from today
Absolutely gorgeous...so neat to see blossoms AND fruit at the same time on the same trees. Pretty does not even come close to how luxurious your backyard must feel & SMELL right now! :D Funny how you say the BITTER orange makes the best orange essence. What it may lack in sweet, it makes up for in other ways! ;)
First blood oranges this year from my tree .
Magnificent looking fruit! :drool My father talks about Christmas as a child in Northern Europe. They always looked very much forward to their stockings...for each one of them (my Aunt and my Father) would get a single orange...nothing so special as your ones above Benny, but just what we all see as a common, everyday oranges. Well not there...they peeled their oranges, carefully, ever so careful in saving the peels and they had the peels candied. I never had candied orange peel until my ballet teacher (a Russian ballerina) gave us some at Christmas time. We being kids, my sister and I, we ate some and made the sour puss face...not use to the flavour and very powerful. We were polite and thanked her...trying hard not to show her our reactions. Asked my mother about the candied citrus and it was often used in sweet breads & bakings. I myself have made it as I use to make very heavily ladened fruit cakes and the candied peel was a nice addition to this Christmas baking.
I made these friut cakes for my son's wedding
We do have to appreciate that the world as it is, is so small in many ways. Getting oranges and bananas, not so special as it is likely you have it at the local stores within easy access. This said, Benny, your blood oranges picked off your very own tree brings back a flood of memories that make having an orange all that more special. Did we tell you that you are blessed? Ha ha ha,... :lol: Now you have blessed us in sharing your joy. Thank you for that TREAT! :hugs Enjoy the eating of your oranges...for all of us, eh.
Kinda the same is done for meatloaf
On January 7th, I tried out doing some meatballs, not going to say spicy because they were not...flavourful tho! :p
Crackers (soup kind) and egg, to help bind the mixture
Absolutely hilarious...a melon baller works perfect to make meatballs the right size
for what I wanted them to be
So I did a quick search on the Net and found cooking instructs...
400F and done in ten minutes?? :confused:
Not quite right...ten minutes times four times
I drained and turned the meaty balls four times at the ten minute mark
So it took 40 minutes at 400F in the oven to cook how I wanted them to be
I thought 400F was kinda a hot temperature and well, it was not and not burnt at all...but not done in ten minutes either... :p
While the pasta cooked in boiling water, I added some heavy cream to a can of cream of mushroom soup...to make a sauce for the meatballs, the meatballs were nice and crispy on the outside.
Dinner on the 7th of January
Turned out delish and I will make this again. Rick said the meat was so flavourful, he broke each into three pieces to mellow the flavour out with the spaghetti and creamy sauce. Today, beef stew in the crock pot.
I stopped in town this morning and got fresh bread to dip...to dip in the beef stew I have cooking up now. Gravy will be good, soaking the bread... Doggone & Chicken UP! Tara Lee Higgins Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada Edit to add photo of son's wedding cake
Thank you! I do feel blessed :lol: this is the reason why I LOVE Winter here, It because it is yours definition of Spring!:lol: It just amazing to me that we have citrus flowers and you are have heavy Snow! But as you say, in every place there are the advantages and the disadvantages! I envy the easy access to natural resources that you have, venison and other kind of meat. Wonderful wild salmon, trout halibut and other fish, wild berris, mushrooms ect! So the conclusion for me is: to spend ouer Summer in Canada, and the Canadian winter in Israel! :lol: Tara you should bake you own bred! How the Dorper lambs are doing? You will have one ready for eating this spring?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom