1. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Does anyone watch the Ina Garten series of cookery shows called the 'Barefoot Contessa?' She makes some very interesting recipes, many of which I would love to try. The trouble is she never says how many people her recipes will serve. Last week she made a chicken soup with dumplings. It looked very tasty but she used 3 whole chickens and vegetables just to make the stock! This was only the first course. Then she made stuffed cabbage leaves (with minced meat and herbs). She used a whole cabbage, and two pounds of minced meat! The thing was this was supposed to be for her and her husband! Of course I agree she probably freezes much of it but why not say, 'this will serve eight people', or whatever.

2. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I rarely watch but I do enjoy her calm nature when I catch a show. The complete recipes with the "yields" listed at top should be online at foodnetwork.com. Sounds like she must have been out after a very rich, flavorful base for the soup....using 3 chickens will make really rich stock because of all the bones. Now I'm craving chicken soup! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by