Asking for a friend in Georgia

Marinefam2053

Songster
Jul 18, 2019
Deep South East
I have a friend that lives in Charlton County in Georgia. She’s got approximately 2 acres of fenced land. She wants to raise some chickens 4-6 at most. Does anyone know of any ordinances or who she should contact? She’s way outside of the city limits which has other ordinances.

She most likely should have no problems,,, since she is outside of city limits. Counties often do have regulations that people need to comply with. Some are common sense regulations.
She should visit County Administrative Office,, and simply ask.
Are there other peeps with chickens in the neighborhood?? Ask them as well.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

She most likely should have no problems,,, since she is outside of city limits. Counties often do have regulations that people need to comply with. Some are common sense regulations.
She should visit County Administrative Office,, and simply ask.
Are there other peeps with chickens in the neighborhood?? Ask them as well.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Terrible advice.

While there are still a few areas left with only limited coutny ordinances regarding poultry - and Charlton Co, GA (pop 12,171 as of 2010 census) may be one of them, that (for most property owners) is the exception, not the rule.

The general steps are as follows.

What does my Landlord or HOA say about chickens?
Dont Have one? EXCELLENT. Next step.

What does my municipality say about chickens, in my zoning.
Don't have one? EXCELLENT. Next step.

What does my County say about chickens?
Trust me, you have one of these. Anybody's guess how they are going to talk about chickens. Search the whole code by keyword. Start with "Chicken", "Poultry", "Livestock". Now look at "Animals". "Livestock". "Zoning". Got it? Great, check "Nuisance" - chances are, one of your searches hit on this (probably several times) already, but just in case, because this is how your neighbors will likely object to your ownership, even if they are permitted.

Now do the same thing with your State. Begin at General Ordinances. See the land development code? Same searches.

and if you still aren't sure? Check with the published regulations of your State agencies.

...and as soon as you hit a "not allowed", you can stop. The "Right to Farm" laws in the various States are generally inapplicable to backyard owners, being intended to protect ongoing, large scale, commercial farming operations from being shut down by neighbors using the Courts to advance nuisance law claims, or by zoning changes. anyone who tells you differently likely got their information from a Youtube video posted by a person completely unqualified to opine on the subject.

Me? Once upon a time, as a very minor corner of my role, I researched statues, and have helped write, rewrite, modify, support, or oppose legislative changes (NOT regarding poultry) in each of the 50 states, several territories, and two foreign countries - some multiple times. But don't take my word for it, do your own research, I'm confident you will reach similar conclusions.

Terrible advice.

While there are still a few areas left with only limited coutny ordinances regarding poultry - and Charlton Co, GA (pop 12,171 as of 2010 census) may be one of them, that (for most property owners) is the exception, not the rule.

The general steps are as follows.

What does my Landlord or HOA say about chickens?
Dont Have one? EXCELLENT. Next step.

What does my municipality say about chickens, in my zoning.
Don't have one? EXCELLENT. Next step.

What does my County say about chickens?
Trust me, you have one of these. Anybody's guess how they are going to talk about chickens. Search the whole code by keyword. Start with "Chicken", "Poultry", "Livestock". Now look at "Animals". "Livestock". "Zoning". Got it? Great, check "Nuisance" - chances are, one of your searches hit on this (probably several times) already, but just in case, because this is how your neighbors will likely object to your ownership, even if they are permitted.

Now do the same thing with your State. Begin at General Ordinances. See the land development code? Same searches.

and if you still aren't sure? Check with the published regulations of your State agencies.

...and as soon as you hit a "not allowed", you can stop. The "Right to Farm" laws in the various States are generally inapplicable to backyard owners, being intended to protect ongoing, large scale, commercial farming operations from being shut down by neighbors using the Courts to advance nuisance law claims, or by zoning changes. anyone who tells you differently likely got their information from a Youtube video posted by a person completely unqualified to opine on the subject.

Me? Once upon a time, as a very minor corner of my role, I researched statues, and have helped write, rewrite, modify, support, or oppose legislative changes (NOT regarding poultry) in each of the 50 states, several territories, and two foreign countries - some multiple times. But don't take my word for it, do your own research, I'm confident you will reach similar conclusions.
Thank you, forwarding this to her so she can get the information that she needs. She’s just trying to gather as much information as possible so that within a year she’s prepared to start raising chickens. It’ll be great for her kiddos too, they are young and will learn a lot.

I also don’t think any advice given is terrible. I am just trying to give her all options to do what she wants to do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom