Asking for your thoughts

We have another problem lately, When Daisy tries to eat the chicken pellets she eats so fast and I caught her choking on pellets twice! It’s like she has problem swallowing them when she eats fast.
I told a vet, he told me not to put the pellet dry, and at least add a little amount of water to the bowl! Is this normal?

Last edited:
I’d use warm water with some ACV mixed in the water before putting it on the feed make it soupy try a little at first just to make sure they’ll eat it. ACV will help so down mold and is also a good tonic. Get the non pasteurized if you can ACV is apple cider vinegar teapoon of ACV to a qt of warm water or pint of water and half tea. Just use according to how much you use.

Last edited:
We have another problem lately, When Daisy tries to eat the chicken pellets she eats so fast and I caught her suffocating on pellets twice! It’s like she has problem swallowing them when she eats fast.
I told a vet, he told me not to put the pellet dry, and at least add a little amount of water to the bowl! Is this normal?

Is there a water source near the food? They often fill their mouths with food then slurp it down with water. I've seen my ducks occasionally cough on food it's usually either because their food is dusty or they don't have any water. My Pekins seem to do it more because they are more hogs.

I’d use warm water with some ACV mixed in the water before putting it on the feed make it soupy try a little at first just to make sure they’ll ear it. ACV will help so down mold and is also a good tonic. Get the non pasteurized if you can ACV is apple cider vinegar teapoon of ACV to a at of warm water or pint of water and half tea. Just use according to how much you use.
Since the vet told me,I give them the pellets in a water bowl. I usually add ACV to their drinking water, I will add to their feeding bowl. Thanks for mentioning it.
I was scared there’s something wrong with her throat(or oesophagus) that she couldn’t swallow well.

Is there a water source near the food? They often fill their mouths with food then slurp it down with water. I've seen my ducks occasionally cough on food it's usually either because their food is dusty or they don't have any water. My Pekins seem to do it more because they are more hogs.
I always place their food close to their water bowl.
Haha , I love pekins!:love Cookie is always greedy for food, too. The vet also told me to give them olive oil occasionally so they don’t cough on food and its good for their crops, you could try that with your ducks too

Back
Top Bottom