Aspirin daily for arthritis?

cate1124

Songster
12 Years
Jul 3, 2011
Cold weather seems to be seriously exacerbating my 6-year-old Brahma's limp, which she's had for some time and which I believe is arthritis. Half a low-dose aspirin once a day seemed to help during warmer weather. I'm going to bump up to a half-tab twice a day, as I've read up to 1.5 tabs daily is OK. (She takes it readily in a bit of wet cat food.)

However, most aspirin dosing protocols limit the time it should be given to, say, three days. Does anyone use aspirin in a maintenance dose for arthritis? My hen has shown no GI effect with the half-tab; I'll continue to monitor her poop. The option is a vet visit and an RX for meloxicam. My brahma is a big old girl I handle very gently, and since I can't be in with her to monitor her handling (pandemic policies) at the vet's office, I'm not wanting to risk that.

So, does anyone use aspirin daily with an arthritic hen?

Never given a hen aspirin for any reason before, so I'm afraid I am not much help, but I'll attach the medication guide for aspirin from Plumbs Veterinary Drug Manual. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Aspirin.pdf
    56.4 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for trying to help. This document doesn't address birds. Those that do offer complicated directions that involve dissolving aspirin in water at a certain ratio. Not much help, given that you're dosing a single bird and don't want the level to depend on how much she drinks. Vets just prescribe meloxicam; they don't know about aspirin.

So, the half-tab low-dose, watching the poop for GI distress, is what I do. (I think I found that on this forum.)

The question is whether anyone has used aspirin on a maintenance or daily basis over an extended time for an arthritic hen.

Thanks for trying to help. This document doesn't address birds. Those that do offer complicated directions that involve dissolving aspirin in water at a certain ratio. Not much help, given that you're dosing a single bird and don't want the level to depend on how much she drinks. Vets just prescribe meloxicam; they don't know about aspirin.

So, the half-tab low-dose, watching the poop for GI distress, is what I do. (I think I found that on this forum.)

The question is whether anyone has used aspirin on a maintenance or daily basis over an extended time for an arthritic hen.
Yes, plumbs does not have any dosage recommendations for aspirin for birds. I generally take that to mean it is not recommended for them. There are likely other medications that would be more effective and/or safer.

A quick google search gave me this: https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/arthritis#:~:text=Treatment of Arthritis in Birds&text=NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-,be prescribed by a veterinarian.

You might also try glucosamine?

Back
Top Bottom