Aspiring chicken farmer in CT

BillGoodewell

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2017
Hello, ive always been interested in the art of chickenery, but it is only now, after a peaking of my interest, that I have begun construction of my chicken coop. I am still having issues choosing a design for the entrance ways, ramp and some sort of heating element to keep the chickens active and producing through the winter. Curious if at all there are any other people in my area with some particular knowledge of these Issues.
Thanks In Advance,
Be Well,
Bill

Hello, ive always been interested in the art of chickenery, but it is only now, after a peaking of my interest, that I have begun construction of my chicken coop. I am still having issues choosing a design for the entrance ways, ramp and some sort of heating element to keep the chickens active and producing through the winter. Curious if at all there are any other people in my area with some particular knowledge of these Issues.
Thanks In Advance,
Be Well,
Bill

Greetings Bill,

I myself am in CT.
Firstly welcome to the great world on chickens. Secondly, please don’t use a heat source in your coop unless brooding chicks. Chickens need the break in the winter from laying to help keep healthy, and they are also more than capable of keeping themselves warm during even the coldest of nights. You do need to make sure your coop is well ventilated and dry. Also have you double checked your towns zoning regs. Regarding chickens? I know there are a bunch of towns that either have limits on hens, or rules on having any roosters.

Welcome to BYC 1.gif
Welcome to Bach Yard Chickens!

Often times coops are a work in progress. Eventually you will get what you want though

G’Day from down under Bill :frow Welcome!

You might be interested in downloading this free e-book My First Year With Chickens

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of the coop build or your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom