Assist Hatch Emergency!!!

FluffyButtBabies

Songster
Jun 24, 2020
Virginia
I have a small Mille Fleur chick that had pipped about 30 hours ago and made no progress. All the other chicks hatched, but she kept growing weaker and weaker. Her membrane dried too, due to me having to remove the other chicks (they were overheating) and because she obviously had been sitting there for a very long time. In addition, when I candled her egg, I could see that he had very little room in there to turn (small air sack, she was a shipped egg). Anyways, a few hours ago pulled some shell away to help her unzip, and sure enough the membrane was dry. A few hours later, and still no progress. You could see her trying and rocking the egg, but her beak was positioned the wrong way I think. I peeled some more shell back, and it was fine. But then part of the membrane tore and I could see blood. Not a lot, and it's not actively bleeding. It looks like it clotted on. Anyways, obviously I put her right back and I'm not touching her anymore. Anyways, do you think I could have hurt her? I've assisted a few times before and I never expected her to still have some blood despite such a dry outer membrane. Why do you think she's struggling so much? Any advice as to what I should do? Thank you so much, I'm pretty worried! 20210325_141416.jpg

Go ahead and help her out. Sometimes there is blood in the shell, but that doesn't mean she's injured. Gently peal the egg away until her head is completely out, then leave her alone.

She hasn't gotten that far. I created that hole myself. All she made was a pip in the beginning and nothing else. The egg was saddle-shaped so I think she was mispositioned. But she hasn't made any progress. That's why I don't know if I should stop, because I don't want her to still be absorbing blood vessels or something. She wasn't even able to unzip after 30 hours.

I helped her a little more and she finally pushed her way out. But now she has her umbilical cord still attached to her I think? Usually I'd just let it fall off, but it's really short and still attached to the egg. She's just dragging the shell around. I can't cut it because it's attached right next to her navel. Now what? Will she hurt herself? 20210325_165301.jpg

I just did what you said. She just hatched in my hands.
i put her back in the incubator along with her shell as the umbilical cord is still attached. What should i do im so shocked
That’s awesome! Congrats! You could wait a little bit to see if she gets it off herself just by walking around. She is probably super tired from being stuck trying to get out for so long. Wondering if she needs some water since it’s been so many hours since she pipped.

Thanks, will do i have the brooder set up with water.
She is a beautiful fully black silkie, shes chirping alot so i think thats good she hatched right away in my hands as soon as i peeled away the membrane.
im only 13 so i hope i handelled this well.

Thanks, will do i have the brooder set up with water.
She is a beautiful fully black silkie, shes chirping alot so i think thats good she hatched right away in my hands as soon as i peeled away the membrane.
im only 13 so i hope i handelled this well.
Holly C, I'm a Holly too, though a whole lot older than you! You did an AMAZING job by yourself! You can be so proud that you did such a nerve wracking thing and made it through. You just passed an important milestone. You learned patience. You learned when to intervene. And you did it gently and correctly! I have a feeling this will be the first hatch of many in your life. Thank you for joining us and sharing it! I'm a mom to 8 grown children and I miss moments like this a lot. We need lots of good young people in the poultry world. I'm glad you came here and that you were brave and wise enough to ask for help.

Back
Top Bottom