Assist in hatching?

Stokes85

In the Brooder
Dec 1, 2018
Please help. Iv had 4 hatch and are all healthy in the brooder. This 5th one started to pip 28hours ago. The others started to peck at its hole making it quite big. They were all ready to go in the brooder so have quickly moved them. I'm worried about this one and started to take some of the shell off. It looks like it's stuck somehow can someone please advise?

Attachments

• 15437151415952196967416338055027.jpg
    15437151415952196967416338055027.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 22
I THINK it may be malpositioned but not sure on that . When you say pipped 28 hrs ago you mean just an air hole in the shell ? I think you will need to finish the hatch now since you have removed so much egg but if just pipped I would wait til the am. Do you have oil on the membrane ?

Yes I put coconut oil on the membrane. And yes it did start to pip itself 28 hours ago then the others started to peck it and made the hole bigger. just looks like it's in a weird position? Should I remove the remaining shell it seems to all be in the membrane still and can see veins. Sorry this is my first hatch

I see some blood veins that have broken so it may be a little weak. 28 hrs is not a long time from pipping to zipping. Remember that even if it is ready, its yolk will nourish it for a few days. I would wait til am then finish the hatch. If the yolk isnt absorbed it is still protected right now.

I sent the picture to a hatching friend but havent heard back. If I do I will let you know what is said but other then that and with my limited experience waiting is always better.

Ok thank you I will keep putting oil on if it dries up and sit and wait. I have 6 other eggs left that haven't pipped yet and am on day 23 1/2

Ok I spoke w/ her. She said w/o seeing it well its a hard call but with as much as you have off you might as well finish the hatch. She said if you see blood stop immediately and if the yolk isnt absorbed all the way to put it in a cup to lesson the risk of it being punctured.
She also told me to link you to her articles of assisted hatching and I will go find it.

Back
Top Bottom