Assistance needed on how and when to Introduce new hens to a flock.

Okay, I just got some new Info, we can only get 2, My aunt has her reasons, would adding 2 to 2 be okay?
I mean, any x any will work or not. But at that age, not laying yet, I can’t see it being a huge problem. Take @aart advice on coop setup and structure and I wouldn’t think it’d be a huge issue.

Post again if you have trouble.

3. Is the coop and run size I provided a good amount?
No. Sorry, but, despite it's professional and well built appearance that is one of the worst coop designs out there. It's too small and there's little to no ventilation.
It might work for 4, but the smaller the space the tougher the integration.

Much can depends on climate, so.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1688381137691.png

No. Sorry, but, despite it's professional and well built appearance that is one of the worst coop designs out there. It's too small and there's little to no ventilation.
It might work for 4, but the smaller the space the tougher the integration.

Much can depends on climate, so.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3564322
Thanks, Ill add It, I'm In East Of Texas!

Thankfully you can only get two. Hopefully they are bantams, they typically take less space.

1. Will the hens fight? Would the Rooster?
Those are not mature hens and a rooster, they are immature pullets and a cockerel. Chickens of any age will determine a dominance/pecking order. That may go pretty smoothly or it can get pretty vicious, it is always uncertain. To make it even more uncertain they are in puberty, especially the cockerel. Often the hormones have control of cockerels in puberty and things can get pretty wild. So you have two things working, straight integration and juveniles going through puberty. It can work out but it has the potential to be really messy.

2. Do I introduce all the new hens at once? (Separated and Segregated Of Course)
Every time you add or subtract a flock member they can reset the pecking order. Just do that once by adding them all at the same time.

3. Is the coop and run size I provided a good amount?
Unfortunately no, your room is really tight. If you were further north I'd say it was unworkable for four chickens, even bantams. But being in East Texas gives you a chance. Where you are the chickens should be able to be outside practically all day every day. They are not going to be locked in the coop all day for a few days because of snow or winter weather. So if you make your run predator proof and leave the pop door open all the time you are not restricted to the coop only, the entire coop and run are always available. But a 6x4 run is not big enough. I'd want it at least twice that size and bigger would be better.

As well as that may be built, I agree with Aart that it is a horrible design. With a 3-1/2' x 4-1/4' footprint that high I'm not sure how stable it will be in a high wind with those pads. I'd probably want to stabilize it by connecting it to the run. Six nests in that tiny coop are silly and they were probably a bit challenging to build. And they take up a lot of internal space. They certainly took unnecessary materials. I did not download the cut list, it sounds like there is a roost in there but I could not tell where it is or how long it is. From the width of the coop it would be good for no more than 4 regular sized chickens, could probably handle 5 bantams. I don't see any windows for light so they can see.

And no ventilation that I can see. That could get dangerously hot in your summers. With the pop door open all of the time you'll have that but I'd cut out the gable front and back an install louvers there to keep rain out and let air pass through. Is there a good way to provide shade for your coop?

Back
Top Bottom