Assisted hatch for Quail

stinbr

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 24, 2016
My Quail chick piped at aprox. 10:00 a.m. Friday. It didn't progress at all after that. I kept humidity up, laid egg on damp paper towel, etc. Nothing....This morning I gently removed a bit of shell at the air space area, he or she was able to free itself by pushing a wing out. Yolk was completely absorbed, no blood, membrane was dried to the chick, I assisted a bit with removing it. Baby seems fine, nearly dry. I wrapped it in a soft cloth and have had it tucked in my shirt for aprox. 1 hour. Will there be any problems with spraddle leg?

Does the chick walk fine right now? Some chicks can be born with it, but if it's walking fine right now, it should be fine. Just make sure your bin is not a slippery surface or it can develop very quickly.

Does the chick walk fine right now? Some chicks can be born with it, but if it's walking fine right now, it should be fine. Just make sure your bin is not a slippery surface or it can develop very quickly.
Thank you for the reply. The chick is walking fine (running) the chick piped on day 29. Never had that happen. Anyhow, seems to be normal and healthy. If he can get through the first week, I will be relieved. Mountain Quail chicks seem to just spontaneously die for no good reason. Thank you for your help, and wish me luck!

Mountains are known to hatch over a 3 day period. It's like after they pip, they need about 3 days to muster up the energy to get out. What I do is if they don't get out of the egg on the 3rd day, I go in and free them.

Mountains are known to hatch over a 3 day period. It's like after they pip, they need about 3 days to muster up the energy to get out. What I do is if they don't get out of the egg on the 3rd day, I go in and free them.
Thank you for the reply. The baby is doing just fine, no issues with his legs, eating, drinking, etc.

20170603_081711.jpg

Back
Top Bottom