Assisted hatch... umbilical stump?

rbc-bow-chicka

Songster
10 Years
Jan 4, 2014
I have a chick that was positioned incorrectly and pipped at the smaller end. The oldest of his hatchmates arrived Tuesday evening. The 2nd, Wed around noon. I waited for a while and it became clear he wasn't going to make it out. Long story short, I assisted. I had been firmly in the 'do not assist camp'... but this was a dismal hatch of my neighbor's eggs and I just couldn't not try.

His umbilical cord was positioned at the air sac end. This morning, he was still attached, but it was drying....and he wasn't moving much...though alertish in that newly hatched chick way. So I let him be. I repositioned after a while and he later broke free on his own. There is no blood, gunk, yolk, pasty stuff or swelling to his abdomen... so I am pretty certain the yolk absorbed on its own.

My concern is that he has a little stump remaining. ... and he is smaller than the chicks that hatched. He is not fluffy yet and it has been a few hours now that he has been free of the shell. I applied a little antibacterial gel just because.

The 2 others are getting testy in the incubator i moved them into. The oldest is approaching 48 hours (this evening) and the other approaching 24 hours in another 2 or so. This little one is still finding his footing...literally (his feet no longer look like he needs orthopedics) how can I integrate them all and not have them pecking at his stump or basically terrorizing him?

Thank you.

I have a chick that was positioned incorrectly and pipped at the smaller end. The oldest of his hatchmates arrived Tuesday evening. The 2nd, Wed around noon. I waited for a while and it became clear he wasn't going to make it out. Long story short, I assisted. I had been firmly in the 'do not assist camp'... but this was a dismal hatch of my neighbor's eggs and I just couldn't not try.

His umbilical cord was positioned at the air sac end. This morning, he was still attached, but it was drying....and he wasn't moving much...though alertish in that newly hatched chick way. So I let him be. I repositioned after a while and he later broke free on his own. There is no blood, gunk, yolk, pasty stuff or swelling to his abdomen... so I am pretty certain the yolk absorbed on its own.

My concern is that he has a little stump remaining. ... and he is smaller than the chicks that hatched. He is not fluffy yet and it has been a few hours now that he has been free of the shell. I applied a little antibacterial gel just because.

The 2 others are getting testy in the incubator i moved them into. The oldest is approaching 48 hours (this evening) and the other approaching 24 hours in another 2 or so. This little one is still finding his footing...literally (his feet no longer look like he needs orthopedics) how can I integrate them all and not have them pecking at his stump or basically terrorizing him?

Thank you.
Picture?
It's likely not an issue, some do have "fleshy belly buttons" where there's a stump of umbilical cord left. Depending on how much is there, it may not even be visible once fluffed up. A photo would help

So you have two already hatched in the incubator who want to come out? 48 hours after hatch in the incubator is pushing it a little if so. I'd get them in the brooder.
You could keep this little one separate, but if his naval looks good enough they might be fine together. Is it the size difference that's worrying you?

Well, I moved the 2 bigger chicks into the brooder. I also had placed the incubator with the smaller chick INTO the brooder so everyone could see each other.... small brinsea w clear sides.

Just now, I decided to let the smaller one out... so I am sitting here supervising. No mayhem...but I am afraid to leave them and cannot sit here all day. Maybe I should put him back in the brinsea (in the brooder).

I have attached a pic of the stump... as well as the chick... who still hasnt quite fluffed up... but is def dry.

Thoughts?
Picture?
It's likely not an issue, some do have "fleshy belly buttons" where there's a stump of umbilical cord left. Depending on how much is there, it may not even be visible once fluffed up. A photo would help

So you have two already hatched in the incubator who want to come out? 48 hours after hatch in the incubator is pushing it a little if so. I'd get them in the brooder.
You could keep this little one separate, but if his naval looks good enough they might be fine together. Is it the size difference that's worrying you?

Attachments

• 20230330_130123.jpg
    20230330_130123.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230330_130132.jpg
    20230330_130132.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230330_130324.jpg
    20230330_130324.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 19
Picture?

Well, I left the little one in with the hatchmates....1 on 1... and they just seem to ignore him. I'd rather have that than him being picked on.

I have made sure he had some electrolyte H20... then some nutridrench and raw egg yolk. He is just not very active. He doesn't follow, drink or peck with his hatchmates. The nutridrench and egg seemed to make him more alert, so I have done that a few times.

His belly is definitely not distended or squishy.
He has fluffed up some. I just hope he makes it through the night and he is up and asking more like a typical chick tomorrow.

Well, I left the little one in with the hatchmates....1 on 1... and they just seem to ignore him. I'd rather have that than him being picked on.

I have made sure he had some electrolyte H20... then some nutridrench and raw egg yolk. He is just not very active. He doesn't follow, drink or peck with his hatchmates. The nutridrench and egg seemed to make him more alert, so I have done that a few times.

His belly is definitely not distended or squishy.
He has fluffed up some. I just hope he makes it through the night and he is up and asking more like a typical chick tomorrow.
You're doing all the right things
Bear in mind that he is younger than them, and may not show much interest in food or water until he's a couple days old. Keep encouraging him, and he should gradually gain an appetite and some energy

You're doing all the right things
Bear in mind that he is younger than them, and may not show much interest in food or water until he's a couple days old. Keep encouraging him, and he should gradually gain an appetite and some energy
Well, I am so excited and figured I should report right away.

Little chick survived the night... and is acting more like a curious, normal chick. I guess he just needed a minute to collect himself. Hopefully herself. Lol.

I will continue w the nutridrench and egg yolk today and showing him the food and water dishes.

Thank you for bearing with my hysterics. I just knew I had done something to cause this chicks eventual demise. Knock wood, it appears I did not!!

Many thanks.... and hopefully more good reports!

Well, I am so excited and figured I should report right away.

Little chick survived the night... and is acting more like a curious, normal chick. I guess he just needed a minute to collect himself. Hopefully herself. Lol.

I will continue w the nutridrench and egg yolk today and showing him the food and water dishes.

Thank you for bearing with my hysterics. I just knew I had done something to cause this chicks eventual demise. Knock wood, it appears I did not!!

Many thanks.... and hopefully more good reports!
That's great news!
And no problem at all! Hatching can be really stressful so I understand the worries

Chick is continuing to do well....unexpected turn of events...its apparently healthy hatchmate took a quick turn, and died. It had been eating all day... running around... seemingly fine...cannot say if it was drinking... as it and the other larger chick were identical.

No more hatching eggs as a neighborly favor! I'm worn.

Chick is continuing to do well....unexpected turn of events...its apparently healthy hatchmate took a quick turn, and died. It had been eating all day... running around... seemingly fine...cannot say if it was drinking... as it and the other larger chick were identical.

No more hatching eggs as a neighborly favor! I'm worn.
I'm so sorry that you lost your other chick :( sometimes they just fail to thrive.
Are the remaining babies acting normally?

I'm so sorry that you lost your other chick :( sometimes they just fail to thrive.
Are the remaining babies acting normally?
Well, the little one is still lagging behind s bit... but seemingly catching up. When I lift up the heater to make sure hes alive,, he jumps to standing like the others did. He responds to tapping and runs over and pecks. Still have not seen him drink. The larger one is perfectly fine. But so was the one that died.

I called the neighbor yesterday to ask when he wanted his chicks.... and to make a long, annoying story short, they are mine now. I had not planned on this. I have some very specific and tough to get chicks for a project arriving next week and have 10 4 week grow outs. I may just sell them. I'm not sure where I would put them.

Back
Top Bottom