Assisted hatch... umbilical stump?

Well, the little one is still lagging behind s bit... but seemingly catching up. When I lift up the heater to make sure hes alive,, he jumps to standing like the others did. He responds to tapping and runs over and pecks. Still have not seen him drink. The larger one is perfectly fine. But so was the one that died.

I called the neighbor yesterday to ask when he wanted his chicks.... and to make a long, annoying story short, they are mine now. I had not planned on this. I have some very specific and tough to get chicks for a project arriving next week and have 10 4 week grow outs. I may just sell them. I'm not sure where I would put them.
Are you trying to dip the tip of the chick's beak in water? That may encourage him to drink a little

Are you trying to dip the tip of the chick's beak in water? That may encourage him to drink a little
Oh definitely. Every hour or so I am in there and dipping his beak. He fights me. I will put him next to the waterer and even if the bigger chick (s) is drinking, he does not. Today may be a better day. I am using quick chick from Murray McMurray.

So today... I saw him actually follow the lead of the bigger chick... and twice after he took a drink, he stumbled backwards.... began scratching at his face with his feet.... trying to groom down his windpipe/esophagus area. I don't know if he took too big of a drink? Whatever he does, he clearly finds distressing. He doesn't do this when I touch his beak to the water. I had tried putting a quail waterer base in there, but it was just too narrow for them to drink from. I'm going to pick up some marbles or something that I can control the depth of the water and see if that can help.

So today... I saw him actually follow the lead of the bigger chick... and twice after he took a drink, he stumbled backwards.... began scratching at his face with his feet.... trying to groom down his windpipe/esophagus area. I don't know if he took too big of a drink? Whatever he does, he clearly finds distressing. He doesn't do this when I touch his beak to the water. I had tried putting a quail waterer base in there, but it was just too narrow for them to drink from. I'm going to pick up some marbles or something that I can control the depth of the water and see if that can help.
Can you record this behaviour and then unload it here?
You'd have to upload to YouTube or something similar, then link it here

Can you record this behaviour and then unload it here?
You'd have to upload to YouTube or something similar, then link it here
Here is a super short video... the longer ones I took are just too large and I cannot figure out how to shrink them down. This is basically what he does whenever he drinks... including if I help him or he drinks on his own now. I have some landscape pebbles which I'm going to go grab before it gets too dark to see if making the waterer shallower will help him?

Here is a super short video... the longer ones I took are just too large and I cannot figure out how to shrink them down. This is basically what he does whenever he drinks... including if I help him or he drinks on his own now. I have some landscape pebbles which I'm going to go grab before it gets too dark to see if making the waterer shallower will help him?

Does he feel fluffy to the touch? It looks like his down dried funny, perhaps it's irritating him

He has not fluffed out the way I think he should have from the beginning. I was contemplating kind of wiping him down a bit..with some warm water to see if I could get him fluffier? Water does seem to dry him a little... crispy in spots?

He has not fluffed out the way I think he should have from the beginning. I was contemplating kind of wiping him down a bit..with some warm water to see if I could get him fluffier? Water does seem to dry him a little... crispy in spots?
It wouldn't hurt to give him a little clean up, a warm damp sponge or cloth, then give him a little dry with paper towels and put him under the heat plate to dry. Just ensure he's kept warm until dried fully.
I think where the down is crispy, he may feel irritated and that may be why he's scratching etc. Get him all fluffed up and see if it makes any difference

It wouldn't hurt to give him a little clean up, a warm damp sponge or cloth, then give him a little dry with paper towels and put him under the heat plate to dry. Just ensure he's kept warm until dried fully.
I think where the down is crispy, he may feel irritated and that may be why he's scratching etc. Get him all fluffed up and see if it makes any difference
Final follow up. Chick has decided he wants to live. And drink independently. Thatnk you so much for your help with him! And I am betting he's a he. He is just tooooo different from the other chick!!

Back
Top Bottom